cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

Hosting a game server

Millhouse
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

My intention is to eventually host a game server, for now I have it running on the LAN and can connect to the server from a virtual machine, my problem is I  can not currently even ping my public  IP address (respond to pings turned on in router) let alone route stuff from the intertangle to the game server, any suggestions at least as to why I am not getting a response to ping requests? I think that may be the battle won!!

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

Either let me see your port forwarding rule or I will do one for you that definitely works.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Game server is hosted on Win10, I thought I had set up port forwarding needed, seems I was wrong! Apologies for the delay in getting back to you , lost my connection to the intetangle entirely, had to factory reset router, .. left my specs at work, can not see the tiny text on back of the router for make and model, game server listens on port 23570 tcp only as far a I know

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Most routers block nearly all ICMP traffic on the public side, especially pings for security reasons. You will need to set up port forwarding on the router for the game server to be accessible from the internet. I can help a lot with this, but I will need to know the make/model of your router, plus the TCP or UDP ports that need to be forwarded to the game server. What sort of device are you hosting this server on?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes