cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

Privacy warning

Benjiboy322
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 2

My phone is telling me this message 

privacy warning and when I check it out it says I’m on the wrong. WPA 2

amd I should be on WPA3 

I am concerned should I be

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

Hi @Benjiboy322 

Please read my sticky on this subject in the relevant board, plus currently, the only router that supports WPA3 is the eero:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Privacy-warning-this-network-is-blocking-encrypted-DNS-tra... 

Further on from this, about WPA 3 specifically:-

The WPA3 security mode is a negotiated parameter when a Wi-Fi adapter is associating with an AP. They will agree on the highest security mode that they both support. This is crucial as the AP might support this mode, but a Wi-Fi adapter might only support WPA2 Personal. In that case, the connection will be secured using WPA2 Personal, not WPA3 Personal.

If the WPA3 implementation used by that AP was WPA3 Only, then the previously mentioned Wi-Fi adapter would not be able to associate with that AP at all.

WPA2 Personal has had two main enhancements added to it that are part of WPA3. These are:-
1. The KRAK vulnerability has been patched.
2. 802.11w was ratified back in 2019 and introduces Management Frame Protection (MFP).

This will require changes to the firmware of clients and access points. Alternatively, it might be available as a software-only upgrade to many types of hardware. This is also called Protected Management Frames (PMF).

Therefore, some APs and adapters that support WPA2 Personal are protected & others are not. This is a negotiated parameter on device connection, requiring them both to support 802.11w. Obviously, WPA3 mandates that MFP be supported on all APs & STAs that support WPA3. 802.11w should be implemented now on any device that supports 802.11ac.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes