cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

Questions about multi-factor authentication on my TalkTalk account

CypherFlux
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

I turned on multi-factor authentication for my TalkTalk account. I wasn't aware before doing this that I wouldn't be able to disable it by myself without contacting TalkTalk support.

I am concerned that I could lose access to my authentication method over time.  I want to set up multi-factor authentication with two different authentication apps (this is possible) but now I can't change it to do this. When I click "account security" in my account it tells me I have to contact support to get this turned off. To be exact it says "In order to remove multi-factor authentication from MyAccount, please chat to one of our advisors". I contacted TalkTalk support in a webchat and I spoke to two agents and neither seemed to know how to turn this off from their side. 

I have a recovery code in case I lose access to my authentication method, but it seems that if I have to use it a new code will be generated for the next login after that. It won't disable multi-factor authentication if I use it. So could I be stuck with having to keep note of and use a new recovery code every time I login, if I lose access to my authentication method? That doesn't sound great - I could easily lose the next code I have to use. I regularly clear my browser cookies so logging in again is something I have to do often.

I'm not too concerned about losing my authentication method right now, but this could happen in time, and what if I want to change it and use a different app for authentication? There doesn't seem to be a way for me to do that. Now I'm stuck with the authentication app I chose and can't change if it was necessary to do so.

Can anyone please advise me on this, specifically how I could get this turned off so I can choose to set it up again later in a better way. Is this something a TalkTalk support agent should be able to do (as indicated by the instructions in the settings)? 

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thank you @StephenF ! I think I'll wait a little while before deciding if I really want to have it reset. At the moment things are working out okay with the authenticator I'm using. There may not be any need for me to change it after all. I was just concerned that it could never be changed. I might post on the forum about it at some point later if I do want it changed, hopefully that would be okay. Thank you for assuring me that it would be possible to get it reset. 

0 Likes

StephenF
Community Manager
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Just as in 1980's columbo style... Just one more thing...

I'm currently investigating why the two people you've spoken too were unable to help. I happen to know the process off the top of my head but it's likely they didnt get the memo or didnt search for the process within our agent knowledgebase. 

Either way i've reached out to the team to see why they didnt have what they needed to help you and whilst this doesn't change what happened or help you know. You can rest assured that once we get to the bottom of this, no other customer should suffer the same outcome as i'll be looking to get a reminder communication out to all our agents. 

Stephen, Community Manager

StephenF
Community Manager
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 10

Hey @CypherFlux 

Thanks for your post. I get the concern about "what if" but this is similar to what if I lose the key to my front door, you ain't getting in out the rain. however unlike my keyless front door. If you lose access to authenticate your MFA it can be reset with little effort on our part once you contact us. 

On that point, let me apologise for you chatting with my colleagues and them being totally clueless about the process they should have been able to assist with. 

Resetting your MFA takes swirls of a donkeys tail following which you'll be able to set it up again. IF you want we can do that via the community just ask us and someone will pick that up. 

Obviously if you're locked out you cannot ask for it here you'd have to chat or call but in the event you wanted it reset so you can use a different app just shout. 

Thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Message 4 of 10

I've asked Stephen to take a look.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 10

I am hoping that @StephenF can help, he is the manager responsible for the forum software & the recent SSO login changes that also affect MyAccount.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 6 of 10

I understand. Thank you for helping 🙂 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

As a customer myself, this is the only route I can use to try & help you. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 8 of 10

I appreciate that Keith, but I have spoken to two support advisors about this already in chat and neither seemed to know how to turn off multi-factor authentication on my account. Is it even possible for anyone at TalkTalk to turn it off?

If I had known in advance that I couldn't change it by myself (and potentially no-one can) then I may not have set it up. It means I can't change my settings to use a different authentication app if I wanted to or needed to, I'm stuck with the authentication app I chose. There isn't a problem at this moment but I'm thinking ahead to issues that may arise because of this. 

Hopefully the website can be changed at some point to allow customers to disable this if they choose to do so, and maybe offer a backup method of authentication like a code sent to my mobile phone or email address. If it was possible for me to disable this, I could set it up again with a different authentication app that may be more convenient for me as time goes on. At the moment I'm using an authentication code generator that's built into the OS of my device (not a separate app), so this is dependent on me having a device from a specific company. I just wish I could change things if I no longer wanted to use this and wanted to use a separate app from a different company.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and advise you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith