cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Advice sought -Cancelling TalkTalk TV and replace Using our own Freeview Play box.

pensioner123
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Hi everyone.

I have been paying for TalkTalk TV for many many years, and have an original Huawei box.

We usually only watch Catch UP by choosing shows from the last 7 days by scrolling back using the box's program guide. We're not interested in any subscription content through the box.

If we cancel TalkTalk TV and instead buy a used Freeview Play compliant box, the question is, will we still be able to choose shows from the last 7 days program guide on our own box? So I'm wondering whether by cancelling TalkTalk TV, the 7 days Catch Up facility on our own box won't work?

Are there any disadvantages in ditching TalkTalkt TV and buying our own Freeview Play compliant box?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Thanks fr8ys, that's a very interesting idea.

I think I'd like to have the option to attach an aerial, and the record function of the BT/EE box is an attractive feature that may well come in useful. Hmm, I think the BT/EE box still wins!

It's very good of you to share your experience and knowledge with the audience on this forum. Thank you.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Another thought.

If you do not have an aerial and only want catchup apps, then something like an Amazon Fire or a Roku stick might prove a better option and cheaper option.

these sticks will also give you access to other free apps like Pluto TV.

You can by these is SD or HD quality for under £50.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 3 of 9

Many thanks fr8ys for your patience and clear explanations. Following your example I will go for the BT/EE box, and say goodbye to TalkTalk TV.

Your help is much appreciated, thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Yes. TalkTalk cannot block your Box apps from working.

I have a BT pro box and regularly use the catchup apps myself.

Oh and by the way, the box connects wirelessly or via ethernet. I use mine wirelessly.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 5 of 9

Many thanks fr8ys for excellent your advice.

So once the BT/EE box is set up with an aerial, and connected via Ethernet, Catch Up programs will come through the internet even though my TalkTalk TV subscription has ended?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

I'm not sure if you can set it up without an aerial. At one time ITV and C4 required this to confirm your region, but that may now have changed.

The box will work on any network but as said not sure it will set up without an aerial.

If you have no aerial could you find a neighbour or relative to set it up initially if it doesn't set up without? Then move to your house and it will work.

Message 7 of 9

Hi fr8ys

Thank you so much for a full answer!

Reading through reviews of the boxes you mention I'm swayed towards the BT/EE Box Pro from CEX.

Just to confirm, will I be able watch TV on the BT/EE box through the internet (no ariel connected) without TalkTalk TV subscription?

Many thanks.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Cancelling TalkTalk TV will have no effect on your current box. It will continue to work as is.

to cancel the TV element though you will need to phone and speak to the loyalty team as it is seen ss a change to your contract. Don't be swayed by them offering the new TV hub if you use the recording function as the new box only streams and you will need to recontract too.

Try phoning 0345 172 0088

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529# 

As for a new box for you to buy, the Manhatten TR4 R is a current favourite Freeview Play box and comes with 3 different size hard drives. It will record 2 programmes at a time. As for the backwards compatible guide, you will need to look i to this as this was a YouView innovation so may not be available. Check them out on Amazon and Argos.

The other alternative that will gove you what you want is a BT (EE) Pro Box. However these are not generally available to the retail public. You can however buy these from CeX on line, when they have a BT customer who trades them in. Surprisingly many are new or near new when available. CeX also offer a guarantee. This will also record up to 4 programmes at a time. 

Hope this helps in your delibetations.