cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

TV programmes in the Republic of Ireland

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I have just installed a new TV hub. However, when I select the ROI channels, I get still pictures of the programmes on RTE and no sound. I live in Northern Ireland and often view and record programmes from ROI. This issue was not explained to me when I was offered a new TV contract.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

Not all android devices are equal, and you will find some apps that can be downloaded on a phone that cannot be downloaded on android TV.

You can see this is you go to the google playstore online. on a laptop or pc, and search for the app.  You will usually see a dropdown of your devices, phone, tablet , android TV etc and some apps are just not available for TV.

This is not a TalkTalk issue, this is an android / app issue.  I have Google TV here with a chromecast device and see the same with some apps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Just an additional point on this topic, the rté TV app cannot be downloaded to this device either. The device is definitely restricted to whichever option you choose when setting it up (UK or Ireland) and blocking any access to view other countries. For example, on my UK android phone I can download the rté app and use it easily, but the app can't be downloaded to "this device" (that's the error message), and the *Freeview* channels don't work either.

Talktalk, this needs to be fixed.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

I wouldn't actually say it's resolved, the TV hub is obviously placing a restriction on available Freeview channels. It's more of a workaround for which additional kit is needed, including a second remote to get lost somewhere in the couch cushions. 😁 

Recording is a subject for another thread!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi

Glad you managed to resolve this.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

I decided to use a quality aerial splitter and have one link to the hub and the other to the TV. I now have both UK and RoI channels and all I have to do is change the input.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Well, I decided not to trust what I believed to be true and do the test properly. Unplugged the aerial from the TV hub, plugged it into the TV and success! RTE One, RTE two and TG4 all with sound and moving vision. If memory serves correctly talktalk had another box some years back that also required a choice between UK or Ireland and never the two did meet. This may be the case with the TV hub, once you've made your choice it kind of blocks the other area from being seen properly. I'll have to test it by seeing it to Ireland one day (when the family is out) and see what happens with the UK channels.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 14

The TV Hub contains a standard Freeview tuner, so I can see no reason why you shouldn't get the RTE channels which are widely available from a number of transmitters in Northern Ireland. Is your box connected directly to the aerial?

0 Likes

The-Senior_One
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 14

I'm having the same problem. It worked through the older Netgem box, and it works through another set top box I have. During setup it asked for either UK or Ireland settings, so I'm wondering if it can only handle one or the other, but not both. That's a real shame if so, and new subscribers in Northern Ireland should definitely be made aware of this, in my view. A splitter may allow viewing, but my TV can't record. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi

Usually from the settings menu, there will be an option to factory reset.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 14

Karl

I have used a splitter on the aerial to connect to box and tv directly. I can view all channels now in the RoI.

How do you reset the box?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi

It may depend on the strength of the nearest transmitter to you.  Have you tried resetting the box and then a retune.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Thanks Karl.

When I connect directly to the TV I have all the ROI channels with full vision and sound.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi

The TV Hub just has a freeview Tuner.  If you connect your aerial direct to the TV, do you also see the same TV Channels Received.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes