cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Latest Firmware for Sagemcom 5364

whatsgoingon0
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

I have seen this post by Debbie-TalkTalk on 1 April 2024:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/Talk-Talk-Wi-Fi-Hub-Fast-5364-3-T8-Firmware-Update-La...

Debbie said there is a new version of firmware for the Sagemcom 5364 within the next couple of months, and that the firmware would automatically be updated when the newer version becomes available.

Just like the OP of that thread, I have hardware version 3.00 and firmware version SG4K100174.

It is now 6 months on from that post. Has the firmware update been delayed?

Hopefully, the newer version fixes the issue of randomly being logged out of the user interface, as also reported by arhharris in this post https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Router-not-responding/m-p/3067562#M871403.  

For the second time I am a TalkTalk customer by acquisition.
0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

whatsgoingon0
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 26

I have been on quite a journey today (Saturday).

This morning, on occasions I had less than 1Mbps download speed on the WiFi connection. Repeatedly, after I managed to improve the speed by changing channels and/or switching WiFi adapter, the speed subsequently dropped again.

With it being so bad, I moved out of the study (upstairs) to the kitchen which is adjacent to the dining room where the modem/router is connected to the master socket, so that I could connect via ethernet.

However, there was an issue to resolve. When I went live on Fibre 65, I connected to the router via ethernet in order to make changes to the router settings, and I noticed the internet connection dropped frequently, whereas just an hour prior to that the same computer was connected to the internet via ethernet using a Huawei HG533 without any issues. At the time, I assumed there was just a temporary blip. Today, I now know that was not the case, because the frequent disconnections still occurred.

I followed Microsoft Support suggestions for fixing ethernet connection problems, running various network commands, and even doing a network reset, unfortunately with no effect. Then I made some changes to the ethernet adapter Advanced properties in Device Manager. Something that I changed resolved the connection issue. I still don't know why any change was necessary, as it was previously working with the Huawei HG533.

That aside, with the connection in sync at 45.8Mbps the download speed was 42Mbps. The next step was to achieve that in the study rather than the kitchen.

At this point I have to say "WELL DONE TALKTALK", because the WiFi booster (mesh extender) ordered on Friday, i.e. just the day before, turned up.

I followed the setup instructions provided in the box with the booster, and quickly realised that the instructions did not match the hardware. The instructions were for the 266 V1 whereas the booster I received is a 266 V2. Then I followed the instructions for the V2 here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Setting-up-and-positioning-your-Wi-Fi-Booster/ta-p/2920.... That did not work, but then I realised it may be that it uses the 5GHz band that I had disabled in the router settings.

Re-enabling the 5GHz band was not as straightforward as it ought to be. I went to http://192.168.1.1/2.0/gui/#/wifi/5GHz/priv/basic, changed the button next to 'Enable 5 GHz Wireless' from OFF to ON, and clicked on the Apply button. After that the status of the 5GHz band still showed as DOWN rather than UP. Puzzled, I went back to http://192.168.1.1/2.0/gui/#/simple/wifi where the switch for 5GHz was green, yet the status was shown as Disabled. Clicking on the switch caused it to momentarily change to the off position before it returned to the on position again with no effect on the status, which remained at Disabled. The solution was to go back to http://192.168.1.1/2.0/gui/#/wifi/5GHz/priv/basic, change the button next to 'Enable 5 GHz Wireless' to OFF, then return to http://192.168.1.1/2.0/gui/#/simple/wifi, and switch the 5GHz band on. That appears to be a bug, which should be reported to the firmware development team, if it has not already been reported to them. It is possible that it is the bug that Keith French refers to here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/WiFi-disabled-from-hub-WiFi-hub-disabled-does-not-acti.... However, he does say that the way to resolve the bug he is aware of is to do a reset to factory settings, which I did not find necessary in the cas of the issue I identified.

With that resolved, I reposition the booster a few times, ultimately locating it in the study, resulting in a dramatic increase in the 2.4GHz signal strength at the laptop. I disabled and enabled the laptop WiFi a few times, and on one occasion it connected to the lower signal strength 2.4GHz from the router rather than the much stronger signal from the booster.

Subsequently, I connected the laptop to the booster with the ethernet cable. So, finally after some hours, I have a consistent download speed of 42Mbps on my laptop in the study.

When connected via ethernet directly o the router, I noticed that the TalkTalk Speed Checker simply reported that there were no devices connected via WiFi. It is only recently that I have used this particular speed checker. I am surprised to see that it does not appear to provide a result for devices connected via ethernet.

When connected via ethernet to the booster, I noticed that the router UI dashboard reports (in red font) that no devices are connected, even though the booster (extender) is connected to it, as is shown in the 5GHz band WiFi Mesh overview, where the devices connected to the extender are also shown. At the very least, I expected the extender to be shown as a connected device on the UI dashboard. I noticed an issue with the 5GHz band WiFi Mesh overview, in that it is still showing a device that has long since been disconnected.

These issues aside, I am pleased to finally obtain the expected download speed to my laptop. Long may it continue!

Thank you TalkTalk, in particular thank you to the TalkTalk Community staff for your assistance. Yodel did well too, delivering in less than 24 hours for a 48 hour service.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

@Chris-TalkTalk,

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

I've ordered the booster as requested. They are usually delivered in 2-5 working days but they have been in short supply recently so it may take longer to arrive

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

As per Debbie's earlier suggestion here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Latest-Firmware-for-Sagemcom-5364/m-p/3068845#M28065, please send me a WFi booster. If that does not resolve the issue, then I shall have to get the master socket relocated so that I can connect to the router via ethernet.

Just over 2 weeks ago I was on ADSL2+, achieving a sync speed of 20Mbps with the router connected to the extension in my study (rather than at the master socket), so I connected the laptop via ethernet, and had a stable download speed that was fine for my use. It is only with the upgrade to part fibre that I have connected the modem/router to the master socket, because the performance was not good on the extension, and as a result I have had to use WiFi. My study is upstairs at the back of the house, and the modem/router is downstairs at the front, with the two being as far away from the other as is possible within the house. As a result the signal strength is not the best.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi whatsgoingon0,

I'm sorry but as previously said, we no longer disable wifi optimisation as disabling it causes other issues. (We won't reset your router)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

There is no issue with establishing a wireless connection on the right frequency band, in this case 2.4GHz. I just decided to disable the 5GHz band in the router settings because I am currently not using it.

The issue is with the router sometimes changing the channel on the 2.4GHz band when I power my laptop up again, and it establishes a wireless connection to the router. The router is not always selecting a channel that provides the best achievable performance in terms of download speed., and with manual intervention I can achieve better. That is tedious, and it is avoidable, if only the router WiFi optimisation was disabled so that it does not override my change to the channel setting.

Other than disabling the 5GHz band and changing the channel on the 2.4GHz, I have not made changes to the WiFi settings, so I do not see that reseting to factory settings would gain anything.

Please do not reset the router back to factory settings. I am working at my computer right now. After a reset to factory settings, I would need to reset the WiFi password, and the router UI password, etc.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

WIFI optimisation should automatically connect to the correct channel for your devices.

Would it be ok to reset the router back to factory/default settings as WIFI optimisation should connect to the correct channel for your device.

For example on my own connection, my ring doorbell only connects on 2.4ghz. I didn't make any changes to the WIFI settings or channels and my doorbell automatically connected on 2.4ghz.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

Yes, I have turned 5GHz off because my laptop and the USB WiFi adapter only support 2.4GHz.

I am only using one device, a laptop. See my response to you on the the other thread you are assisting me on here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/TalkTalk-My-Connection-wrongly-reporting-There-are-no-... for more details.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

Have you switched off the 5ghz? 

I can only see 1 device connected on 2.4ghz?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

Thank you for your continued effort to assist.

For the optimisation to be use, it should be choosing a channel that results in the best performance for the user. In my experience it is not achieving that, and therefore users should have the option of having it disabled.

This morning I turned on my laptop, and again found that the download speed was way down. On checking which channel the WiFi was on, I found it to be channel 11. On looking at my WiFi analyser app, I see no reason for selecting that channel. I changed the channel back to channel 1, and the download speed is consistently back to the maximum for the sync speed to the modem/router.

Even if using a WiFi booster improves the WiFi coverage, it is a workaround, whereas disabling the WiFi optimisation, because it is not achieving best performance, is the solution here. Whoever made that business decision to stop disabling WiFi needs to hear that TalkTalk is sending out additional hardware as a possible alternative solution, which represents an additional cost to TalkTalk. The decision makes no sense. I would like to hear their justification.

If sending me a WiFi booster is the only solution you are allowed to provide to me, please send one. I will try it, and let you know how I get on.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

Most of the time WIFI optimisation will make changes to the channels because it can detect coverage issues.

Would you like me to send a WIFI booster to see how the connection compares?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

It has been rebooted recently, once because Chris-TalkTalk  asked me to here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/TalkTalk-My-Connection-wrongly-reporting-There-are-no-... (to which he has yet to respond further after I posted to say I had rebooted and it did not resolve the issue with the TalkTalk speed test reporting that I have no devices connected to WiFi, when I do because that is my means of connecting my laptop to the internet in order to carry out the speed test), and possibly another time after I used the My Account, My Connection (or My Network), 'Test your line', and it opened a case (which was unexpected) that is still open.

The reboots are completely separate to the issue I am reporting here. The Wi-Fi channel change I am reporting has not occurred after a reboot. The latest occurrence was this morning, and I see that the modem/router has been connected for just over a day. It was on channel 1, and I was obtaining a download speed of 40Mbps. I took a break for 20 minutes, during which the laptop went to sleep. When I restarted the laptop, I noticed that the download speed had dropped dramatically to around 18 Mbps. I checked the WiFi settings and saw that it was on channel 6. I switched the channel back to 1, turned the laptop WiFi off and back on again so that it reconnected using the new setting, and the download speed returned to 40 Mbps.

I only ever have one device connected, my laptop.

I just want the router WiFi to stay on the settings that I set myself, something that has been the case with previous modem/router equipment.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

Are you rebooting the router? I can see re connections on the line.

How many devices do you usually have connected?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk,

I am only using one device. I have seen the Wi-Fi connection drop occassionally, but that is not the issue here.

As I have described, when I switched my laptop back on, I noticed a dramatic drop in download speed compared to when I was using it previously (just 20 minutes earlier). I checked the settings, and discovered that the WiFi channel had changed from 1 to 6. On changing it back to channel 1, the download speed returned to 40Mbps, as it was prior to the router changing the channel from 1 to 6.

Having to check and manually change the channel on a frequent basis is not an acceptable solution. By 'users should having the choice' I meant users should have the choice to change the WiFi settings without them being overridden. This is the first modem/router I have received from TalkTalk that does not allow the user to determine the WiFi settings.

If it is a business decision, then in my opinion it is a bad business decision. The business should be making decisions that allow the user to get the best performance, which I am not.

As I said previously, If I have to continue making manual changes, potentially every time I switch my laptop back on, then I will look into options for cancelling my contract on the basis that TalkTalk has not provided equipment that maintains the best download speed without constant manual intervention, because that is not what I 'signed up' to.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

The router firmware version does not change the ability to switch off WIFI optimisation.

We are no longer able to switch WIFI optimisation off, this was a business decision.

0 Likes

whatsgoingon0
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 26

If as @Gliwmaeden2 says, WiFi optimisation cannot be turned off by Community staff, then the firmware needs to be changed so that users have the choice.

The so called optimisation is affecting my download speed. I was on channel 1 with a download speed of 40Mbps. Subsequently, when restarting my laptop, I noticed the download speed was dramatically reduced.  I checked the WiFi settings and discovered the channel had been changed to 6. On changing it back to channel, the download speed returned to 40Mbps.

Without being able to prevent the router changing the channel, I have to monitor the settings/performance, and manually change the channel. 

If I have to continue doing that, then I will look into options for cancelling my contract on the basis that TalkTalk has not provided equipment that maintains the best download speed without constant manual intervention.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

We are no longer able to switch off WIFI optimisation.

Is the WIFI connection dropping? Is this only happening on certain devices?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Staff no longer have the option of switching off WiFi optimisation available to them, @whatsgoingon0.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk,

I would like to hold off on updating.

I have seen mention of turning off wifi optimisation. Does turning it off stop the router changing the wifi channel? If so, then I would like it turned off.

0 Likes