cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TalkTalk My Connection wrongly reporting 'There are no devices connected to your Wi-Fi network.'

whatsgoingon0
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I have one device, a laptop, connected to the router via Wi-Fi 2.4GHz. It is definitely connected, because that is how I am accessing the internet to write this. 😊

However, when I go to https://support.talktalk.co.uk/, and click on 'Run a speed test', I get the response "There are no devices connected to your Wi-Fi network. To see the speed to your devices please make sure they are turned on and connected to your Wi-Fi." This has previously been working.

For the second time I am a TalkTalk customer by acquisition.
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

"I have just one device connected, my laptop."

That's what I can see too on our side.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

I have just one device connected, my laptop.

I am using it with the internal WiFi adapter (physical address D4-6A-6A-A2-D2-4F) turned off, and a USB wireless adapter (physical address D4-6E-0E-1F-C1-C4) connected to it. I think the issue with the TalkTalk speed tester showing two devices, may be as a result of me switching between the two WiFi adapters, and even though I never have both on at the same time, the TalkTalk speed tester takes a while to clear the disabled adapter from the test results. The physical addresses of devices re not shwn in the results, so it is not possible to confirm that assumption.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Homework time wont work unless you are using TT DNS.

How many devices do you have connected to the line at the moment? I can then check on my side to see if I can see these devices connected.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

Thanks for picking this one up.

Yes, the DNS WAN IPv4 setting is set to 'Obtain DNS Automatically', i.e. it is using the TalkTalk DNS servers.

I am no longer seeing the response saying that I have no devices connected. On some occasions I have seen it reporting that I have 2 devices, when there is only 1 (which is correctly shown in the router UI), or that the device is in low power mode, when it is not. That's some improvement on 'no devices connected'.

By the way, I tried the TalkTalk speed test whilst using other DNS servers, and it still works. Just to check that the change to the DNS server settings had taken effect, I turned on homework time in My Account, and as expected it had no effect until I switched back to the TalkTalk DNS servers.

Message 5 of 9

Hi @whatsgoingon0 

Can I just check, you are using TT DNS? You haven't made any changes to the DNS settings?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Putting the router in the naughty corner with the power off for 30 minutes has made no difference. Scolding it for telling lies made no difference either. 😐

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi whatsgoingon0,

Could you try switching the router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know if this resolves the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Moving this to the Broadband section, as the Lounge area doesn't always get staff support, @whatsgoingon0.

What package are you on?

[If it's Fibre65, is it FTTC or Full Fibre to the premises?]

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes