cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband WiFi Connection Problems

opticfibre
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 50 of 50

Hi, I most recently reported this problem about 6 weeks ago but it actually goes back at least 18 months.  I chatted with Chris about it and for a while it seemed to resolve itself, but then returned.

My house is a typical 2-storey detached 1981 built house. 

The TT  Sagemon Fast router (replaced about 5 months ago) is located in upstairs bedroom, alongside main desktop PC (ethernet connected).  The Wifi extender TT provided about 6 weeks ago is downstairs at one end of long living room.  

Our 4 devices (2 mobile phones, 2 laptops) are mainly used downstairs in the living room, and continually lose Wifi connection (several times a day).  Wifi connection can only be regained by bringing the phone or laptop  close to the main router.  Bringing them close to the wifi extender does not have any effect.

The phones often show “Obtaining IP address . . .”.  One phone (Samsung S10e) is worse than the other (LG G6)

Both phones keep switching to 4G, thus incurring charges.

The ethernet-connected PC is usually OK but sometimes I have problems when linked up to a friend on MSFS 2020.

The ethernet-connected Smart TV occasionally says no internet connection, but then regains connection.

I'm really at a loss to know what to do.  TalkTalk, I must get this problem resolved . . .

0 Likes
49 REPLIES 49

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 50

I do not believe that BT Hubs are compatible with other than their own network. 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 50

Having entered the username and password you say, and clicked 'Connect', I get this......

16857295352504892084821033765567.jpg

0 Likes

Message 23 of 50

If I input the Hub's p/w and go to Advanced Settings, see attached, there appears to be an option to change the Broadband username, but using your information (to input mytelNo@talktalk.net + the 12345678 password) I get an orange message saying 'Changes need to be saved' but no obvious way to do it. 

16857275116554185438722261091275.jpg

0 Likes

Message 24 of 50

Hi, I'm in real trouble trying to get the BT Hub router to work! I got the impression from your reply that it would be straightforward, but anything but. 

It's powered up and I get this multi option screen, but don't know where to start. It's saying 'unable to connect to internet' even though it is connected by cable to the house master socket. 

16857265589171507686696082250808.jpg

0 Likes

Message 25 of 50

Hi

When setting up a non TalkTalk Router, just keep all settings to automatic, and if you need to enter log in details for broadband, just set the details as follow :

User :  phonenumber@talktalk.net

password : 12345678

We use network authentication, however some routers will require that you enter user details before they let you continue, so just enter the above and all should be ok.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 50

Hi Debbie,

I'm pretty much giving up now with my TT router and am planning to buy the BT Smart Hub Router, which has good recommendations.

I see you provide a procedure - "SET UP A NON-TALKTALK ROUTER", and just wanted to check that I can use it for manually entering the connection settings, if needed? 

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 50

Hi opticfibre

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 28 of 50

Hi, if you are talking about the Samsung S10e mobile, yes, it has the latest updates.  In fact, all the devices have up to date software.

But right now they are connecting to wifi as they should.

In the next few days I will check if there is any problem at a different location.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 50

Hi opticfibre

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version. The WIFI optimisation is also switched off.

Does this particular device/phone have the latest software update?

0 Likes

opticfibre
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 30 of 50

How do I check what firmware I have on my Sagemcom router?

0 Likes

Message 31 of 50

Hello,

Unfortunately we no longer stock the Huawei Wifi Hub and can only send the Sagemcom router. What version of firmware do you currently have on your router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 32 of 50

The Sagecom Fast is the 2nd router Talktalk has supplied to attempt to resolve this problem, see my initial summary.  I thought there was an alternative router available - the Huawei DG8041W.  Isn't that compatible with my broadband package, and worth a try?

I am away shortly for a few days. 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 50

Morning,

Thanks for the update. We can only provide a Sagemcom router. Would you like us to send another router for testing purposes or would you prefer to monitor for a while longer?

Thanks

Message 34 of 50

Karl,

I don't believe changing the wireless channels has made any difference, although as I have previously said, the fault is intermittent. 

One device in particular, my wife's Samsung phone, is often unusable on Wifi unless the phone is within a metre or so

of the router.  Anywhere else in the house and it displays the message "Connected Without Internet".

Having said this, all devices over the last 3 days have maintained a Wifi connection in the house!   This shows how difficult it is to diagnose the problem.  I do wonder if there is an alternative TalkTalk router available that I could try?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 50

No Problem 🙂

Let me know how it goes.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 50

Karl,  OK, rebooted and will now access our devices and connection to wifi for a couple of days.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 37 of 50

Hi

it will not hurt to reboot the router, and if still having issues, we can always try a new router.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 38 of 50

Hi Debbie,

I've followed the instructions and changed both wireless channels.  Should I turn off, and then back on, the router?

0 Likes

Message 39 of 50

Hi opticfibre

The line test is clear - No faults detected.

The connection appears to be stable. Last re connection was on 28/04, the connection has been stable since.

I've now switched the WIFI optimisation off, please can you try a few different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Change your wireless channel

0 Likes

Message 40 of 50

Hi opticfibre

Ok, I'm just running a line test now and I will post back shortly.

0 Likes