cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Solid Red light on router - no connectivity

Gizmo1981
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 33

As title.

I have a D-Link DSL-3782 and since 1am this morning,  the connection dropped and the router went to a single red light for the power,  But the Broadband,  Internet, Wireless and Ethernet lights are all out.

I've tried unplugging the router for one hour and then plugging it back in,  rechecking the connections for the ADSL,  Even factory resetting the router by pressing in the small button at the rear of the router..

nothing works and it's still showing a solid red light.

I saw this on another post 
The router having a permanent red power light is an indicator that it's failed the start-up diagnostics. Switch off the power to the router, wait a few minutes then repower.  If the light is still red after another 5 minutes then the router requires replacement.’

So Obviously it appears my router is FUBAR.

Any chance of a replacement or one that is more reliable?

:edit:

we have also ran a network test using talktalk's self help centre and that says there is an issue but after 8 and a half hours I really need this looking into at the earliest opportunity as I require a connection to do my admin and create content.

Playing GT5 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife with my Chrome Enzo Ferrari 😉
0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi

Glad to hear that this router is proving to be more stable.  Keep monitoring, and if there are drops, let us know here.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

So it's been about a week since the replacement router has arrived and so far I've not seen any connection drops at all,  I'm not sure if you've seen anything your end for the past week but for me there's been no drops to my knowledge.

Seems I was right to suggest that it was the original replacement router causing the drops.

I've not had to force a restart of the router due to any drops and it not reconnecting.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 33

OK, I'll order it now, you should receive within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 33

Yes please,  If the dropouts cease then I'll at least know 100% whether it's the router or not.

I'll wait for the new router to arrive so I can compare stability on the replacement and this one and go from there.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

The connection history is only showing 105 non-available seconds at this time which is probably just when you rebooted the router. I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 33

Well it just dropped again and I waited a good 10 minutes for it to come back up,  Router was saying it had dropped connection and was then connected again yet I couldn't get any devices online until I forced a reboot of the router via the admin page. 

screenshots both showing the hub connection status and in the second screenshot is discord attempting to reconnect before I rebooted it.

after forcing a reboot everything connected ok,  This leads me to believe the router is at fault rather than it being a connection issue.

Desktop Screenshot 2024.02.05 - 07.21.46.22.png

Desktop Screenshot 2024.02.05 - 07.22.50.09.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

If it's a problem with the router we wouldn't really expect it to drop at such a regular intervals. It could be that there's something causing noise/interference on the line at those times but it's not quite enough to affect the previous router but just enough to affect this one. I'm sorry, we don't currently have a different router.  

Could we just monitor for a couple more days to see if the pattern continues 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

Not that I'm aware of,  It's always around the same time and only on this router,  As I mentioned,  the Previous router didn't do this which is why I'm leaning toward something router-side,  Either the hardware itself ( silicone lottery ),  Or something to do with the firmware.

Do you have a different router I can test to see if my suspicions are correct?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 33

Hi Gizmo1981,

Seems to be dropping at between 4am-5am, every other night for around 100 seconds. Is there any electrical device in your home that comes on our goes off at this time?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 33

I have no phone to connect currently but it seems to happen every 1 to 2 nights so far whereas it didn't happen before on the other router before it died.

No idea if the router I have is just a bad one  ( silicone lottery ) or if it's something firmware related.

Has there been any reports on this router doing this?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

Hi Gizo1981,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Speaking of connection dropouts..

Literally just after I posted my last reply it dropped out again.

Here are the logs from when it dropped out just now : 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

It's been fine,  The connection has dropped a couple of times though where I couldn't get any connectivity until I forced a reboot of the router by powering it off via the power button on the router itself as I couldn't get into the UI when it happened.

I'm assuming this is firmware related also.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 33

Hi Gizmo1981

Is everything still working ok since your last post? (apart from the router UI issue)

0 Likes

Message 15 of 33

Hi Gizmo1981 and @KeithFrench 

Our Devices Team have confirmed that the issue with the router admin page (UI) should be resolved in the next firmware version.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 33
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 33

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

How is your luck where gambling is concerned? Hopefully for at least the time of the next log in to the router. It only affects the UI, not the internet access.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 18 of 33

Thanks @KeithFrench

Once you log back out how long will it work again for?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 33

Hi @Gizmo1981 @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Yes, this is one of the firmware bugs I reported. The only way around this is to log out of the UI & log back in again. The 5364 that I have tested is worse than the 5464 in this respect.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 33

Hi Gizmo1981

Thanks for your reply.

Community Star @KeithFrench has reported this issue to us. How did you fix this issue again Keith?

Debbie

0 Likes