cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

About cancellation

Mingl
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi there

The thing is i renewed my talktalk account last month. However i changed my mind and i placed a switch order on virgin media last month. I concerned about the new contract with TT So i called TT. The agent said it's fine, once the order completed the contract will automatically be cancelled, VM completed the order on 21.10. I noticed that TT contract still not been cancelled yet. So i ask TT and TT says They are not able to do anything. I have to talk to VM to cancel it.then i called VM and they says they already completed the order and u have to find the TT to cancel ur contract. So i called them and spent 3 days on it. I still can't solve the problem. I gave up  and called ofcom. They suggest me to email concerns.talktalkk team. I emaild them and it's been 2 days still no response. So I'd like to get some advice from here.

Many many thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

What kind of new contract with Talktalk was it, @Mingl?

Ordinary renewals start that very day.

Were you upgrading your service or something?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

It's on 29.09 or 30.09 can't remember which day. But definitely called them after i placed the switch order. And i received an email said that my old contract is end on 20.10.2024 And new contract will start on21.10.2024. So i wonder to know when will the 14 days cooling off period start with? It's the day i accept the new contract or the day that new contract start? Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

I think so i did use that one switch button. I feel confused as well. I mentioned i switched to VM to the agent.  The only result i got is vigin media placed a take over service order and still in process. So they are not able to manage to cancel my contract and advice me to call VM to remove the the order So they can do it. I called them many many time 😂 and I'm getting tired with it now. I will wait to see if i have got any email respond. 

Message 4 of 8

I think they should have reversed your new contract when you first phoned, @Mingl.

The important thing is to do that within 14 days of a contract. 

It would have meant being on the more expensive rate, which rolls on, and then the cancellation of the service would not have triggered early termination fees.

The only situations where the fees are not triggered are when you are out of contract or if Talktalk fails to sort out technical problems with the service. 

So the main battle is about whether the first agent wrongly advised you. They will need to trace the calls / chats.

But, effectively, changing your mind about staying, the thing you should have asked them to do first was cancel the renewal. 

When did you first contact Talktalk about the switch? The dates matter here.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Yeah. They told me i don't need to pay the early termination fee earlier. But until last Wednesday which 23.10. I called many call to TT. I've been told that if VM still not process the switch orderin 2 days, They will cancel the contract without any charge. However until 25.10. The contract till there. So i call TT again, They say not able to cancel again, even i talked to a manager. So the thing is so strange. Tbh i really don't think they cannot cancel my contract😂 i tried just say cancel my service. And the agent told me i need pay for that early termination fee. And then i called ofcom straight away. Don't want to play this game anymore😂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

If Virgin took till 21st October to set up your service it would be well past your 14 day cooling off period for the new Talktalk contract, @Mingl.

I don't know how much notice the new company gives the old - the cancellation of the Talktalk account couldn't really happen till they were sure you were up and running with the Virgin service.

So you may get lumbered with early termination fees when you do cancel .... unless you point out that you were told it would all be taken care of. 

Definitely follow up the Complaints process which will use the email address you were told to use.

See the link at the foot of any Talktalk page and copy that email address by clicking on the concerns@... etc link. It's too easy to make mistakes when just typing it out. They do seem to take an age to reply. 

But you can't bypass the Complaints process  - it takes 8 weeks to get a deadlock letter etc.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Did you use the one touch switch method, @Mingl?

It only kicked in on 12th September and may not be functioning as smoothly as it should....

1000006127.jpg

Prior to that it has always been the case that customers moving to Virgin would have to call Talktalk themselves to cancel their service, as they are not on the same line network. Those instructions are still up there:

1000006126.jpg

So rather contradictory advice on the advice page.

Phone support is not available on Sundays, but they're open 9am - 7pm on weekdays: 03451 720088 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

I'll move this to the billing section of the forum for you and staff will respond during the week, but they can't set up the cancellation for you. 

You will need to phone in again. Don't use Chat as you then have to pick up another phone call from them....