cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Contract renewed after cityfibre free upgrade without my approval

empatel96
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I was offered a free cityfibre broadband upgrade. The email said:

As part of a broadband network upgrade in your area, we’ve previously contacted you to arrange an appointment to update your home to full fibre broadband, the UK’s fastest, most reliable broadband technology.

Unfortunately, the engineer was unable to carry out the install. This might have been because you were unavailable, or the time wasn’t convenient. To make sure you don’t miss out, we will shortly arrange another date for you.

Your upgrade is free of charge and your existing contract, telephone number and extra services won’t change.

Towards the end of May 2023, I was able to get the install done.

My initial Fibre65 contract from 2021 was due to expire on July 7 2023.

I also received an email from talktalk about it saying:

Now that you’re coming towards the end of your Fibre 65 contract which includes broadband and line rental on 7 July 2023, which costs you £25.00 per month, we want to highlight some of the options available to you going forward. As part of our commitment to Fairer Broadband for all of our customers, we’ve highlighted these potential next steps for you below, along with instructions on how you can take out these offers should you wish.

The first option available for you is that you can stay on your existing service and automatically move to £25.00 per month*. You don’t have to do anything at all, just sit back and enjoy your great value connection whilst we handle everything else. You’ll be then out of contract with maximum flexibility to upgrade with us any time you like.

The second option available to you is upgrading to one of our faster products, such as Fibre 150. It’ll cost you just £29.95 per month for 18 months, with average download speeds of 152Mb/s, £4.95 P&P may apply**. Call 0800 049 1166 to order now.

The third option available for you is to move onto a new, matching Fibre 65 contract for £27.00 per month for another 18 months, average download speeds of 77Mb/s. Click here to order now.

After calling multiple numbers and spending hours on the phone, I was told my contract had renewed for 24 months after the cityfibre upgrade. There was no input from my side whatsoever and no contract offers. Refer to the first email where it says nothing will change with my deal.

I did initially want to upgrade to Full Fibre 150 or 500 - if available for a reasonable price - after my original deal finished, but on the phone I was told that wasn't possible to do either due to issues with Cityfibre.

So now instead of my contract coming to an end on July 7th, I'm locked in for another 2 years unless Talktalk can resolve the above mentioned issues. Alternatively, I feel cancellation would be the best option

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8
0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

You must complete your community forum profile details, @Fionastinton.

Go via your avatar/name; settings; drop down menu. In Personal Information add you Talktalk landline number or account number where they ask for phone. SAVE CHANGES  

Please don't keep adding to other people's threads. As mentioned already, you do need to return to the message board and click on start a topic to begin your own.

Staff will only reply to the original poster.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Fionastinton
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 3 of 8

I've had the same, I had my full fibre upgrade installation a couple of weeks ago and it now appears they have started a new 18 month contract when I was told it wouldn't affect my current contract?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

I'll re-escalate this for you, @empatel96, as it would be good to get everything clarified sooner rather than later. 

Message 5 of 8

Hi @Arne-TalkTalk 

I've done that

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Hi @empatel96 

Thanks for your post

I can look into this but first, can you please update your community profile to include:

Name

Telephone number or account number.

Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Regards

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Upgrading with CityFibre seems to be rather complicated, so not straightforward like the old switches from eg Fibre35 to Fibre65. 

Staff will explain what it would involve. 

Presumably you are still within the cooling off period of the current new contract and if you do want to leave you would be within the last month of the old contract, so there shouldn't be a penalty if you do cancel the current deal.

Wait for staff to pick this up for you during the day, @empatel96.

0 Likes