cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Mr Was Once Happy

humpy30
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

My relationship with TalkTalk goes back to the early day's when the broadband service was first started under the name Pipex. I joined Pipex around 2003 when it was one of the first companies to offer DSL (remember the green frog modems) and have remained through all the changes up to its current form. While there have been some problems with the service over all these years I have been happy to remain a loyal customer.

Today, I've had to renew my contract for both broadband and phone calls and was given a new price of £35.50, which does include a slight discount for phone calls. My last contract was for £24(ish) with no charge for phone calls.

So this for me, is a dramatic increase in price which is not really affordable.

So taking into account of my loyality to TalkTalk (which does'nt seem to account for nothing) I feel forced to leave TalkTalk for a better and cheaper alternative which also offers better Social tariffs.

After I have gone through the process of changing all my email contacts and prepared to move to another service, then I will leave TalkTalk even though I will need to pay an exit fee of around £200.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

humpy30
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 1 of 10

OK,

I've tried using the 'live chat' link and just get a 'pretty green circle thing spinning round', waited ages for something to happen and just gave up (no luck=gave up).

Anyway, just like magic I received my new bill yesterday so I was able to see what I'm being charged for. The increase is due to the phone service even though I got it half price. With my last contract I got free calls.

I accept prices change due to inflation etc, so there's no need for me to dwell on this issue. However, I'd like bring up some issues dealing with this once good internet provider.

1. Dealing with TalkTalk over the telephone was difficult, the person I dealt with had a heavy accent and talked too fast for me. I did say I have difficulties talking over the phone, but this seemed to be ignored. I felt the person was reading from a script and was reluctant to discuss any deals (she said I had missed them), but I was given half price on phone calls.

2. A few years ago while renewing my contract, I mentioned my health condition and was told I am on some system that would give me asstance in the future, well this did not happen.

3. While talking to people in the community forum was very helpful (thanks) I was recommended to use the 'chat' function but I could not get on, also I am very slow at writing and spelling (see above these posts further for the reason).

4. On the whole, I think the TalkTalk web site is a mess and difficult to use, unless you want to be a new customer (thats my opinion).

5. From research, I see that there is  a 'social tarriff' for people on specific benefits available. Some UK internet providers are very good at providing this for long periods, TalkTalk however, only offer this for a very short period.

There are other points I'd like to mention but this post has taken me over two hours to write upto this point, and I want my lunch. If I can remember any of the other points I will come back. I hope the 'higher up's read this post but I guess profit is more important.

Sorry for the rant - humpy30

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hello ferguson,

I'm finding this very confusing i'm going to have a seizure from doing this, I want to talk to someone from Manchester.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Ignore the login button, just head straight for the Chat now one. If you are logged into My Account (not the community) when you do so this should expedite security questions, although do be prepared in any event e..g. telephone password. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hello Arne,

Thanks for the message, but how do I actually get to the Live Chat I'm going around in circles here trying to find a usable link.

Can you tell me link by link what to, do I need sign in using my account pass or forum pass and then the link to chat.

Very confusioning for a person who's had a stroke, can I not speak to someone from Manchester so we can discuss slowly and clearly. I have in the past told TalkTalk of my condition and was told I was in the system for this. When I phoned TalkTalk about my renewal I could not understand her accent and she went to fast for me. Anyway, I just said yes to everything she said. I'm not sure what my new contract is anymore.

Thanks humpy30

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

HI humpy30

As Gliwmaeden2 has mentioned if you are not comfortable on the phone try the Live Chat service a link can be found on our help page How to contact TalkTalk Broadband - TalkTalk Help & Support 

Hope that helps

0 Likes

humpy30
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi again Gliwmaeden2 thanks for your repy.

Looking through all  the messages TalkTalk have sent me again, the price they have quoted is their best offer, I am getting half price for telephone calls. It's a big shock to me that the price for broadband+telephone has increased so much.

I have to have a telephone since I pay for an emergency home service, so it's just another dent in my income, which is just the same for many people I suppose.

I use the TalkTalk email address for some of my important emails, so will have to go to a web based provider if I leave TalkTalk. This will allow me to change internet providers to get better deals in the future.

Looking around what other internet companies offer, TalkTalk seems to be less attractive now, thats a shame, I liked TalkTalk thats why I stayed with them for such a long time.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 10

Can you get in touch with a friend who can sit through the phone call with you, @humpy30?

You could also try Chat, to sort out rearranging the contract. 

There's no such thing as "missing all the deals" and usually phoning in will get you a much better price than renewing online.

BUT what she may have meant was that they don't currently have a good deal for the phone calls.

Full price for the boost is £16.00, so if there is only a slight discount on it, your basic tariff for Broadband is probably not bad at all.

They no longer offer the phone boost free (total discount) and the best I've seen for about a year was @ £5.00.

Don't forget that you can remove it after a month, without penalty. If you spot the calls boost being promoted at a better price, remove the current one, make sure that's been confirmed and then re-add it at the better discount. 

You may need to do that via phone / Chat support as well, as most of the time My Account doesn't work properly for adding / removing the boost.

Check details of opening hours near the foot of this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

Talktalk doesn't do social tariffs.

Forum staff cannot set up or cancel a contract for you.

They may be able to help with the administration of the boost. It would need to be after the initial month. 

Look out for their response during the week. They will need to identify your account, so be sure to have completed your community forum profile details. 

Add your Talktalk landline number by going via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information. SAVE CHANGES. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi Gliwmaeden2 thanks for your repy.

To tell you the truth after I had my stroke I get confused and panic about things like this making me overeact (wrongly). I have problems using the phone and cannot really understand whats going on. I do want to stay with TalkTalk but the price they have given me is a bit steep for me. The accounts lady on the phone told me I had missed all the deals and gave me this contract, thats why I am saying I want to leave.

I'm sure I have on the record with TalkTalk that I have problems using the phone, but it would be a bit easier if I could talk with someone from the UK who does not rush me.

I'm sure what to do really thats why I joined the forum with the hope I might get some help.

Cheers - humpy30

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

@humpy30, you should have a cooling off period, on your new contract, of 14 days.

If you tell them that you have changed your mind they would need to revert you to the out of contract price.

You'd need to give them 30 days' notice of leaving (or until the new company, if Openreach serviced offering FTTC, takes over your line).

That leaving charge would be a lot less than wasting £200 on early termination fees. 

Phone 03451 720088 after the weekend to speak to the Loyalty team. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes