cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

My elderly parent

rolyat
First Timer
Private Message
Private Message

Message 5 of 5

My Dad who is 78 years old has tried to contact you to cancel his broadband - he hasn't been able to speak to anybody as he cannot pass security and he doesn't know how to get around this, he just keeps being told he hasn't passed security. He is getting very anxious and upset trying to get this matter sorted out. As you can imagine this is really distressing for him, is there anybody that can help with this situation - His payments every month are up and down.

Please can you telephone him to discuss or if need be write to him at his home address. He does not have access to any online account and therefore cannot access this to terminate. 

XXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 5

Hi rolyat

Sorry that your dad is having problems. 

Does you dad have access to My Account?  he can get his security information from there. Alternatively we can send you a power of attorney form so that you can deal with the account on his behalf. 

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 5

@rolyat 

This seems to be strictly speaking an account related issue, rather than broadband as such. So I have moved it to the Billing section. As your Dad is having trouble passing security, complete your community profile here by adding his phone number along with his full name and address in the Private notes section. Then wait for the support team to respond, I am sure they will do their best to help.

Tunezy
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 5

Sorry to hear about the experience your Dad is having - that's really not good enough, and Talk Talk need to try harder with their various duties to vulnerable customers (with a broad definition of vulnerable, including age) - not everyone is able to (or wants to) phone up. Unfortunately, Talk Talk have a dubious record on complaints and Ofcom has recently said they are the most complained about landline and broadband provider.

If your Dad is just trying to cancel his contract (i.e. without migrating a landline phone number or migrating broadband service to a new provider), then you can give notice (per the Talk Talk terms and conditions, paragraph 15.1, 15.2, and 19) to cancel the service in writing.

Paragraph 19.1 contains their address for correspondence, and paragraph 15.1 shows you can contact Talk Talk as set out in paragraph 19 to cancel.

If your Dad is trying to migrate to a new broadband provider (or landline provider), then usually the easiest way to do this is by talking to the new provider, and having them notify Talk Talk through the switching process. Be aware if you cancel the service without migrating, you are likely to lose any landline number or landline service that your dad has.

I hope you're able to get this sorted - but it is certainly not the case that you can "only" do cancellation by calling up and speaking to the loyalty team.

Virgin Media are under investigation for customer complaints about cancellations processes/practices, so it does seem to be rife among ISPs unfortunately.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Cancellation can only be done by phoning up Talktalk on 03451 720088, @rolyat.

He needs to speak to the LOYALTY team.

It cannot be done via My Account, even if he had it set up, nor by Chat, nor by forum staff. 

I'm afraid that forum support is online only. Staff on here cannot write to or phone him.

Are you able to be present to help him while he phones the above number?

Would he be able to post on here in his own right, as staff can then check that his cancellation has been put through correctly?

I have removed all personal information from your post. This must never be displayed on the public forum but belongs in the community forum profile details. 

These are visible only to the customer and staff. It's accessed via the avatar/name; settings. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes