Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre on renewal (now cheaper than faster BB). I'm still using a HG633 router...

Catwoman1
Chat Champion
Message 70 of 70

Hi there,

My issue is twofold...

Stupidly made the mistake of renewing my contract via Live Chat (subsequently been informed never do that, always should phone to receive a better deal and customer service).

I've had Faster Broadband and phone with TalkTalk since around 2013 (loyal customer). The pricing structure as it is now, fibre is cheaper than faster broadband (which had always sufficed, a one person household).

Anyway, I was pressured (bordering on mis-sold) into taking the Fixed Price Plus option of Fibre 35 for £23.95. When I really wanted the £22 Fibre 35 deal.

I swiftly phoned the Loyalty Team to change to the £22 Fibre 35 deal, but told I had to wait until my fibre service starts, before they can alter my account/deal. Also to send out a Wi-Fi Hub, as I was not offered one when I renewed, when I should have (still using a Super Router HG633).

Well, the good news is my fibre has been connected today and currently getting around 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up (realising there's a 14 day bedding in period, it could get better). 🙂 On Faster Broadband I only got 8 mbps down and 0.7 up.

Therefore, the old faithful HG633 is fibre compatible (was informed it may not be, by Martin from Loyalty), but would still like a hub sent out if possible, as I've been informed it should increase speed and stability.

I called Loyalty again, today. Have now been told they cannot transfer me to the £22 Fibre 35 deal, nor are they sending out a new hub for free. Even though Martin (the guy I spoke to on the phone after the awful Live Chat, last week) having put notes on saying that is what should happen. 

Can one of the OCEs assist, please?

As a long standing and loyal customer, I'd expect far better treatment than I'm currently receiving.

My phone details etc. are on my account.

0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 41 of 70

Wow, you got a very good deal, there. Confirms I should not take this situation, lying down. Well done, you. 

0 Likes

Message 42 of 70

Sorry if my reply seemed a little blunt, @Catwoman1.

However, sometimes it's better to try to manage expectations.

Forum staff are unlikely to be able to help with this, certainly not before next week, and it does sound as though, so far, customer services' responses have been pretty much in line with what I said.

I do hope you can get a satisfactory solution, even if it does mean having to wait for 30 days. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 43 of 70

@Catwoman1 wrote:

Yup, but we're not due another price increase until next April. With the Fixed Price Plus deal I'm already paying the increase, almost a year in advance... Not a good deal, at all.

With FPP, if you forget to renew after 18 months (which I never have, thus no need for) the price paid stays the same, doesn't jump up out of contract, as is the case on the other tariff.

I was in that same boat afrer just a few months into the £22.00 a month renewal on fiber 35 £2.50 increase, rang up went for the fiber 65 £23.95 Fixed Price Plus A new 18 month contract applies.Set-up Fee - £60, £60 Setup Fee Welcome Credit
Even better, we're happy to confirm that we'll be giving you a goodwill credit of £71.85. This is just our way of saying 'thanks' for being a TalkTalk customer 3 months Free

Regards

Message 44 of 70

Apologies @AllyM, I did misunderstand your post.

Yes, TalkTalk are definitely pushing people towards fibre, for sure. Why pay more, for less!

My broadband service has worked perfectly for 9 years, with TalkTalk. Speeds were sufficient, as a single person household. 

Was terrified to rock the *perfect broadband connection* boat with switching to fibre. But hey, the Go Live day, went without a hitch today. Hopefully my service remains trouble-free. Already loving the extra mbps up, when viewing my Ring camera footage, much sharper images/recordings. 🙂

0 Likes

Message 45 of 70

Yup, but we're not due another price increase until next April. With the Fixed Price Plus deal I'm already paying the increase, almost a year in advance... Not a good deal, at all.

With FPP, if you forget to renew after 18 months (which I never have, thus no need for) the price paid stays the same, doesn't jump up out of contract, as is the case on the other tariff.

0 Likes

Message 46 of 70

@Catwoman1 wrote:

Besides @AllyM, faster broadband/ADSL is still available, but at the cost of £24.95 (they wouldn't budge on price, which only cost me £17.95, until recently). Hence, my caving to an upgrade to Fibre 35.

ADSL is still available in the sense that if you are on that package you can remain on it (for now), but after upgrading to Fibre you can't go back to ADSL even if you did want to. I do understand you don't want to go back to it - I think you mis-understood my previous post.

They are deliberately setting the prices to try to get people to move onto Fibre before ADSL goes completely obsolete.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 47 of 70

@Catwoman1 do remember that on the Fixed Price Plus deal that price IS FIXED for the duration of the contract.

On the £22 deal you would be subject to the CPI + 3.7% increase every April.

Message 48 of 70

Besides @AllyM, faster broadband/ADSL is still available, but at the cost of £24.95 (they wouldn't budge on price, which only cost me £17.95, until recently). Hence, my caving to an upgrade to Fibre 35.

0 Likes

Message 49 of 70

@ferguson The £22 Fibre 35 deal was available and discussed on the Live Chat during the renewal process. But, the TalkTalk operative kept pushing the £23.95 option

The next day I phoned Loyalty to say I'd prefer the £22 deal, which is the option I preferred, whilst on the Live Chat, the previous day.

0 Likes

Message 50 of 70

@AllyM Sorry you feel that way. I meant cancel your recently agreed contract in line with the Law. Which isn't the same as cancelling your service. If you bought a product, or service for £23.50 and 8 days later found that it is available for £22 what would you do?

Message 51 of 70

@Catwoman1 wrote:

I'm Scottish, and also loathe football. Therefore, not much bothered... 😂 🤭 But, hoping England "bring home" the result you desire, @ferguson.🥅

Oops, sorry!

Message 52 of 70

@ferguson wrote:

@AllyM It is a statutory right. It includes changing your mind about the terms of the package. Reverting to ADSL is neither here nor there. 

I was replying to the post where you stated that they have the right to cancel during the cooling off period. I'm just raising the point and asking the question of what cancelling actually means in this case.

Almost every time I post on this forum, it feels like you are trying to start a fight with me. I don't want a fight.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 53 of 70

@AllyM It is a statutory right. It includes changing your mind about the terms of the package. Reverting to ADSL is neither here nor there. 

Message 54 of 70

Hi @AllyM, 🙂👋

I don't want to roll back to ADSL/faster broadband. I simply want the Fibre 35 £22 deal as was available on renewal day, not the Fixed Price Plus Fibre 35 £23.95 deal that was pushed upon me.

0 Likes

Message 55 of 70

That's reassuring to know @martswain. Appreciate your input.

And yeah, a new router is hardly a big ask, from a customer who's been with TalkTalk nearly 9 years, and only ever had two routers. 

Message 56 of 70

@ferguson wrote:

Hmm, that really doesn't make sense to me. The support team here won't be back online again until Monday, but hopefully they can help. I do not understand why you cannot simply cancel within the cooling off period as is your right. 

I was told when upgrading to Fibre, there is no way back to ADSL since it isn't being sold any more by TalkTalk (except where customers can't get Fibre), so they probably can't roll back onto that old contract.

If the OP were to cancel, I would hazard a guess that would mean cancelling the whole service, would it not?

0 Likes

Message 57 of 70

I'm Scottish, and also loathe football. Therefore, not much bothered... 😂 🤭 But, hoping England "bring home" the result you desire, @ferguson.🥅

martswain
Philosopher
Message 58 of 70

The HG633 and Black HUB perform exactly the same for me on a Fibre 35 line that syncs at 32/5

There are no security issues with the 633 as it has a discrete admin login password.

However, customers upgrading from ADSL to fibre normally get a new HUB, so hopefully a staff member can help.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 59 of 70

My pleasure and the same to you. It’s coming home…. 🏴

EDIT: Wouldn't let me attach an England flag.  󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿😢

Message 60 of 70

Indeed, makes no sense to me either. Going around in circles. Hopefully one of the support team here, can offer some advice/insight, next week.

Have yourself a great weekend @ferguson. Appreciate your input. 🙂