cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

A return to Slow Broadband speeds following BTOpenreach visit

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 81 of 81

Hi,

I experienced slow BB speeds a few weeks back and went through the torture of a chat session. This resulted in a BTO engineer visiting and changing the Master Socket to the latest. All was well for a few days and the speeds returned to 30/4 from 18/2.  Following issues with a Teams call I checked again last week and the speed had reduced to 18/2. I have raised a case online which is open.

As I explained to the agent during the chat session, I cannot use the DG8041W. Instead I have a DSL modem in Bridge mode with Unifi USG  feeding 2 x US-8-60 switches , 2 AP's and an IW-6. I have rebooted the system. I have checked cables and still no change. The Unifi console does not show any issue on my home network. There is no noise on the landline. I have not yet disconnected and waited 30mins to allow the DLM to reset. I can do this if required. The latest test today using your system shows a line speed of 22Mb down. See attached.

Please will you investigate.

Thank you.

0 Likes
80 REPLIES 80

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 81

Chris,

Speed already dropping as connection settles.

Thank you

at 11:54at 11:54

0 Likes

Message 22 of 81

Hi Plazticfish,

Thanks for the update.

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 81

Hi Chris,

BTO engineer arrived at 09:00 and left a short while ago. Performed usual checks with portable TE, checked on connection in the pit at the edge of the property, and at the Cabinet too. He has changed the setting from Fast to Interleaved in the hope that this makes the connection more stable, of course the result is more latency. He tested the line at the start of the road and saw 40Mb down, just 20 houses later, at the end  31Mb. I'm expecting the 31Mb/4Mb to settle of course over the next few days. I'll update you midweek.

As an aside, he did confirm that the exchange is preparing for Fibre. Contractors were seen pulling cables in the conduit running down one side of the road a few months back. Fingers crossed. BT Wholesale site seems to indicate available. BT sales site post code checker seems to show that I can sign up. to a maximum of 900Mbs.  BT forecast shows expected by 2026. Nothing on TT site though.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 24 of 81
0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 81

Hi Chris,

Thank you. Will do.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 81

I've booked the engineer for Monday morning - July 29 2024, 8am-1pm - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 27 of 81

Hi Plazticfish,

OK thanks, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 81

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. There is a long history here of every so often experiencing a reduced download and upload speed. The norm is 30/4 for this post code. Today it's 20/2.  BTO engineers always suggest that it's the '70 cables reducing performance and causing problems. As the 2 visits have identified there is no problem in the property then I will go ahead with another visit please, as clearly it's an external fault. At the moment I'm OK for BTO to visit Monday or Friday next week. AM or PM.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 81

Hi Plazticfish,

Yes there can potentially be a charge for no fault found but I think in this case it's unlikely. There would be no charge to the customer for work carried out on BT openreach maintained equipment

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 81

Hi Michelle, Ok so the system is saying a fault somewhere outside the property, BTO have already been and replaced the Wall box for a Mk4 version. That was a temporary fix, then after a few days speed returned to around 20Mb down. A contractor on behalf of BTO called the second time and swapped the connection (there are 2 lines to the property). There was no improvement. The engineer commented that the cables were corroded. The problem of bad cables has been a long term problem (see previous posts as Lazyfish5)

Assuming an engineer calls, and let's assume he finds nothing. What happens next please? Do I get charged for a NFF visit? Does someone dig up the cable from the house to the pit? Who pays for that please?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 31 of 81

Thank you. It's still detecting the same fault. If you'd like to go ahead with an engineer visit then please can you confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges and also provide a few days availability AM and PM and we can book this in for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 32 of 81
0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 81

Hi Debbie,

Happy to disconnect current system and install TT router for the next hour

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 34 of 81

Hi @Plazticfish 

No problem. Just let me know what time your lunch is and I will arrange the tests to be completed then.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 81

Hi Debbie,

I am WFH. It will have to be over lunch please.

Thank you

Message 36 of 81

Hi @Plazticfish 

I'm really sorry for the delays.

Would it be ok for us to run the line tests this morning?

0 Likes

Message 37 of 81

Hi @Plazticfish 

Thank you. As soon as everything is working again I will let you know ASAP.

Debbie

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 81

Hi Debbie, OK appreciate there is a global issue right now affecting some Microsoft cloud services and Windows PC's

Thank you

Message 39 of 81

Hi @Plazticfish 

We are having some issues with our line test tool this morning, we are working to fix this as quickly as possible and I will post back here as soon as I'm able to run the test. I'm really sorry about this.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 81

That would be great, thank you 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes