cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

A return to Slow Broadband speeds following BTOpenreach visit

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 81 of 81

Hi,

I experienced slow BB speeds a few weeks back and went through the torture of a chat session. This resulted in a BTO engineer visiting and changing the Master Socket to the latest. All was well for a few days and the speeds returned to 30/4 from 18/2.  Following issues with a Teams call I checked again last week and the speed had reduced to 18/2. I have raised a case online which is open.

As I explained to the agent during the chat session, I cannot use the DG8041W. Instead I have a DSL modem in Bridge mode with Unifi USG  feeding 2 x US-8-60 switches , 2 AP's and an IW-6. I have rebooted the system. I have checked cables and still no change. The Unifi console does not show any issue on my home network. There is no noise on the landline. I have not yet disconnected and waited 30mins to allow the DLM to reset. I can do this if required. The latest test today using your system shows a line speed of 22Mb down. See attached.

Please will you investigate.

Thank you.

0 Likes
80 REPLIES 80

Message 1 of 81

Hi

Glad the speeds have remained where they should and the line is stable.  If you need any help in the future, you know where we are 🙂

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 81

Hi Karl, Following the visit last week, the BTO engineer advised the changes made on the DSLAM and DLM might take a week to 'settle'. I have monitored the connection for the last week and speeds have been where they need to be, and I have not noticed any disconnections. I ran a line test this morning which completed and suggested there might be a fault. The connection is OK so this must be erroneous. Perhaps it's the router, as the line check tool is showing that my router software is up to date. The only problem is that the router it shows is the TT supplied unit which is not connected. I use my own Modem, Gateway, Switches and AP's.

I'll keep an eye on the speeds for a while longer, however, for now, I think you can close the support ticket.  Thanks to all for your help.

Thank you.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 08.30.55.pngScreenshot 2024-08-16 at 08.32.17.png
0 Likes

Message 3 of 81

Hi

Glad the engineer has been able to help.  Monitor for a few days, and get back to us after the weekend to let us know if the service is behaving as it should.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 81

Hi Chris,

BTO engineer spent a couple of hours this morning working through the issues he could see. I'm certain you will get the report. He saw that line speed capped at 30Mbps. He changed my line (VC) and examined the spare 'pairs' in the street run to see if there was anything else that could be done. He also checked the speed at the DSL Modem to ensure that the BT/TT installed Data extension was not a problem. It wasn't. As of now I can see almost 31Mb down and 4 up. I'll see how this settles over the next week or two and report back. Thank you for your efforts to date. Fingers crossed.! as of 12:00 todayas of 12:00 today

0 Likes

Message 5 of 81
0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 81

Hi Chris, Thank you. Have confirmed appt with BTO. Thanks for arranging. Let's hope they can do something on the 4th visit.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 7 of 81

I've booked the engineer for - August 09 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 81

OK, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 81

Hi Chris,

Yes we can try another BTO visit. Friday or Monday, any time. Not certain what they will achieve.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 81

Hi Plazticfish,

Line test is still showing a fault and disconnections. DLM is lowering your profile every day or so too, so we can arrange another engineer visit, would you like me to do this?

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 81

Speed test results care of ThinkBroadband test tool.Speed test results care of ThinkBroadband test tool.

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 81

Hi Chris,

OK so the story so far: 3 engineers have visited. First BTO engineer confirmed problem outside. Ended up changing the NTE5 master socket for a MK4 version. Tested line after reset. 30Mb down. Second visit was from a BTO contractor who swapped the line into the house (as there are 2 pairs of wires). No improvement. Last visit was from a BTO engineer. Confirmed poor speed. Fault showed as outside. Spent well over an hour checking connection. Re started connection and arranged for the DLM to be reset and a change from Fast to Interleaved. Stable connection, but slow. Last week TT asked me to disconnect for 30 minutes. I did, DLM reset. Line has now been settling (DLM learning) for the last few days and today I have 16/2 on a 40/10 profile. TT connection test suggests I contact TT to resolve.. 

Over the last week there have been several BTO engineers vans in our road, with the covers to a number of pits opened, so I suspect more work is taking place with neighbours connections. What else are you able to do please as I am not getting the 29Mb down stated, or experienced previously.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 81

Hi Plazticfish,

Thanks for the update. Your current profile isn't showing 'interleaving on'

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 81

Hi Michelle, I have checked my ThinkBroadband BBQuality Monitor. You can see the period in red, where I disconnected to allow the DLM to reset. The new connection is showing a lot less latency. Have I been reset to Fast (from interleaved)? A short time ago i disconnected and checked the Modem firmware and settings -all OK and up to date, The modem is a VDSL2 and not capable of G.FAST.

Thank you.

ThinkBroadband BB Quality monitorThinkBroadband BB Quality monitor

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 81

Hi Michelle,

This morning...

still poorstill poor

0 Likes

Message 16 of 81

Hello,

Ok thank you. If the sync speed doesn't start to increase again now that the router has been rebooted, then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit as we can't manually adjust the speed as this is managed by DLM to provide the best balance between stability and speed for the connection. We'll re-check the connection stats in the morning to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 81

Chris, now back on after 30+ minutes I can see 23/2

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 18 of 81

Hi,

Current sync speed is 26.2Mbps. Could you switch you router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Plazticfish
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 81

Hi Chris,

Detail attached. There is still a problem despite setting to Interleaved (from Fast) with speed. The latency plot is as expected, however, speed should not be impacted. 

Thank you

Taken a short time ago -No changeTaken a short time ago -No changeBefore the problems/slow speedBefore the problems/slow speedThis morning - both taken from ThinkBroadband Quality monitor toolThis morning - both taken from ThinkBroadband Quality monitor tool

0 Likes

Message 20 of 81

OK, we'll see how it goes over the next couple of says

Chris

0 Likes