cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

A strange one this ..I have a Smart Plug outputting an SSID!

10 REPLIES 10
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Amongst other smart stuff in my home, I have several WiFi enabled Plugs which are branded "Woox", for which I have created routines which execute satisfactorily and the sockets can be controlled remotely via the internet.

This week I noticed on my Windows 10 PC,  there is an "open" SSID broadcasting two of three bars (max signal strength) with the Name "Woox-68D4", this is the second most powerful signal within range after my Routers two signals (2.4 and 5G).

I can "connect" to it, but of course if I do so,I lose connection to the wider world!

My first worry is that it exists at all, secondly is it a security risk (would those qualified in the dark arts of WiFi be able to use it to access my network?) thirdly, ...just Why?

Woox SSID.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star

You need to ask the manufacturer of this device. It may be in some initial config mode, where it is in Ad-Hoc mode. Not knowing this device, but I would have thought that once it connects to the router, it should cease transmitting this SSID, as it should now be in infrastructure mode.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Thanks Keith, at the time I discovered this "rogue SSID", I went round the house unplugging each device from this manufacturer and checking back with my PC to see if the transmission had stopped, ...but it hadn't.

Not being technical, I reasoned that each plug must have some power reservoir, be that a capacitor or battery in order to maintain it's identity for a short time in the event of a power outage or being moved to another socket hence my failure to find the culprit. 

I have fired off a request for assistance from Woox and hope to receive a response soon, I think they were attending CES so might not have had time to read their mail.

Is it likely that this open SSID could/would be exploited in the mean time?

Community Team

Hi Steamywee

Apologies for the delay.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star

I can't really give you any assurances on that, but if there is no internet access via it, then possibly not. It would obviously be a major headache in terms of the performance on the router's WiFi though.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I have now managed to track down the Smart Plug which was broadcasting the signal, it was one which had to all intents and purposes "died", it would no longer respond to either Alexa, or it's own "App" on my phone.

All attempts by Woox to revive it had failed and it was replaced.

I had since been using it just as a convenient way to manually switch one socket in a 4 gang extension lead for my Laptop charger, without switching off all the other sockets!

Since KeithFrench mentions in his post that this might be a source of problems for my router's WiFi, I have now unplugged it and I'll keep an eye on the previously reported WiFi problem before trying the new router.

To be honest, I can't understand why this may be, ...but then I regard WiFi as something of a "Dark Art"! ...What do you think? 🤔  

Community Team

Hi Steamywee,

Glad to hear you've managed to find out what was causing the issue 

Chris

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Just had a "Did you get the answer you needed" email.

...Well, not sure if I did!

KiethFrench raised the possibility that the errant plug outputting an open SSID may have been impacting the WiFi performance of my poor old router!

...Really?😐

I have now removed the plug from any source of power and the rogue SSID has ceased to broadcast, so I'm now just keeping an eye out for any signs of the previous slow WiFi to see if I need to swap in the new Router. 

Can't recall how long that plug was faulty for, but I have a feeling that the router's intermittently poor WiFi speed predates it.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I am not on site, I can only make suggestions.

Keith

Steamywee
Wizz Kid
Yes Kieth, I understand that and I'm grateful for your thoughts.
I just had no idea that the rogue SSID could possibly have been impacting on the performance of my Router's WiFi signal.
A short while ago I was complaining about occasional very slow WiFi speeds from my router in this thread:-
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/The-offered-replacement-for-my-HG-635-Router-nev...
and not sure if you had seen that thread.
KeithFrench
Community Star

No, I had not seen that thread before.

Keith