cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband speed dropout

maxthegold
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Last week on Thursday and Friday evening my broadband connection kept dropping out and rconnecting, it happened 3 or 4 times over 30 minutes or so. I have also noticed a reduction in speed so I checked my internet monitor. I have attached a copy of the graph below. My speed  dropped from up around 60 down to 55 but is now down around 42.5 which is below the guaranteed speed of 53Mbps. Can someone from TalkTalk get this checked out please.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Mark

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can run another line test in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

maxthegold
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

Sorry Debbie, missed that one.

No it is not connected to the test socket.

Mark.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Mark

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

maxthegold
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Yes it was definitely the router that dropped out, I had a flashing red light on it and the TV stopped streaming which is an ethernet connected device. I might try the test socket, but this has happened to me before and all the internal setup was tested an found to be working fine.

Mark.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi @maxthegold,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

If the router is actually losing connection with the internet, then the Openreach DLM system may step in and reduce your speeds to try to stabilise your connection, it will only do this if the number of disconnections or errors exceeds a certain threshold.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem (although you may need to leave the router connected at the test socket for 72+ hours before you would start to see a speed increase if this was the cause of the problem).

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow. You may get faster support from the live chat or calling customer services on 0345 172 0088 during opening hours.