Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed drops off a cliff several times a day

meihum
First Timer
Message 2 of 2

I'm having a repeated problem with my broadband speed, in that it randomly and unexpectedly throttles down to 1mbps or less several times a day.

Normal speed is about 17mbps at the high end, sometimes down to 10mbps.

This happens to all devices, wired or WiFi, at any time of the day.

I first noticed that it was happening every time I powered up our cheap catch up TV set top box, which I've now disconnected permanently (turns out it was something to with the HDMI cable - when I disconnected the HDMI cable the problem would disappear, and then reappear as soon as I reconnected it). The problem is however persisting and is driving me nuts.

In trying to diagnose this I've been keeping an eye on my router logs, and have noticed a fair few malicious scanning intrusions - one every 10 minutes or so.

I'm hoping that by making this public I may at least draw the attention of someone at TT who may be able to help. My experience of the usual channels of communication have not been good. Phone and chat lines are pathetic, with hours wasted trying to describe the problems to people who just repeat the same generic troubleshooting BS like "are you in the same room as your router", even after I've explained over and over that it's a global problem across all devices, in all rooms, wired and WiFi, that all me devices report good connection status, and it's a speed issue.

Added info - I have a Huawei router HG633 plugged into a filtered BT faceplate, which is the only socket in the house.

If anyone has any realistic suggestions based on past experience I'd be happy to hear them, or any support staff listening who may be able to help with meaningful diagnostics then even better. 

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 2

Hi meihum

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes