cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband speed suddenly got very slow

Geoff_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

For the past few days, my broadband speed has dropped quite a bit. I normally get around 20 to 25 Mbps, but it has been randomly anything between 1 and 15Mbps recently. Can you advise please?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Geoff,

That sounds positive, thanks for letting us know.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Debbie,

I've given the new router a good trial and my broadband speeds  seem to be ok now, thank you.

So maybe the old router was, in fact, faulty.

Many thanks for all the help from you and the team.

Best wishes,

Geoff

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hello Debbie,

Yes, the new router arrived yesterday, thank you.

I'll set it up in the next day or two (I'm having to deal with an important local issue at the moment), and I'll give it a week or so to let it optimise itself and see how the speeds and reliability pan out. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll put the old router in the returns envelope and send it off today.

Many thanks again for your prompt and helpful action on this one.

Best wishes,

Geoff

Message 5 of 13

Hi Geoff

Have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your reply.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

If a replacement router is free of charge then it's worth a try. You could then see if the router that I return is faulty or not.

Best wishes,

Geoff

Message 8 of 13

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Would you like us to send a replacement router to see how the connection compares? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13

Hi Michelle,

I've tried swapping my router for a borrowed one, and the speeds seem more stable. I still get very occasional disconnects (followed within a minute or two by a reconnect), but that has been happening for a long time and doesn't worry me too much.

So...not sure if my TalkTalk router has been playing up, as the substitute I'm using now seems better. 

Therefore, should I continue with the current temporary replacement router or swap back to the old one so that you can monitor it over a period of time?

Regards,

Geoff

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi Chris,

Have just rerun speed test with ethernet cable link directly to router, and am getting 31Mps download. So, seems ok at the moment, but will check again this evening as that was the time of day when the speed first dropped like a stone recently. Will keep testing during the next week and get back if still a problem. Thanks.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Line test is passing and your router is in sync at 35.5Mbps. Are you running the speed test on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

0 Likes