cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

CONTRADICTORY MESSAGES FROM TALK TALK RE STATUS OF MY LINE CONNECTION

Fizzbin2000
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 55 of 55

I just ran a test on my connection as my internet has been poor lately - regularly turning off and needing to be rebooted using the modem box.

I received an e-mail from TALK TALK saying the test had been fine and they couldn't find any problems with the line.  Everythnig working as it should do etc.

On the TALK TALK web page - where I initiated the test on my line - I get a message saying " Please contact us.  We've found an issue with your connection and need to speak to you.  Please chat with us using the link below."  The link - of course - does not work.

What am I to make of this TALK TALK?  Please enlighten me - is my service running as it should or not?

0 Likes
54 REPLIES 54

Message 21 of 55

OK, There is a Speedtouch ADSL filter attached and I can see an empty input so will try to connect router to that now.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 55

You would need to connect a micro-filter to the test socket and then you can connect the router to one port in the micro-filter, and the telephone to the other port. We ask you to try  this as is helps identify where the fault is

Chris

0 Likes

Message 23 of 55

I got behind my main unit to have a proper look at the master/test socket and it needed a clean as dust had built up and the wiring is very old (probably 20 years) with some wires exposed where an adaptor plugs into the socket so that might be an issue.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 55

I've never connected my router to the master/test socket before.  There is only one input to that master/test socket and I need that for the phone line.  If I plug in the router there I won't be able to plug in my phone lines so it won't work?

So can't see any value in doing that?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 55

Line test is still picking up a potential issue. Are you able to test with the router connected to the test socket? The socket under the master socket faceplate

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 55

I'll just run a line test and get back to you with the results

Chris

0 Likes

Message 27 of 55

TEST 3 (Phone 1 in lounge connected to master socket, both Phones 2 and 3 disconnected.  Router - not connected to any phone - but plugged in near to Phone 2.  Rebooted router)

Speed to router 16Mbps (Poor)

Speed to device 8Mbps (Poor)

So no change.

Current situation is:

Phone 1 connected to Master Socket seems to be working OK.

Test results for my internet speed are the same whether Phones 2 and 3 are also connected to the master socket or not.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 55

OK thanks. If you reboot the router does the speed improve?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 29 of 55

I made a brief test call from my main phone - the only one at present connected to my master socket - and it seemed fine.  No noise on the line and the person on the other end could hear me and I could hear them so no issues.  Router was on when I did that.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 55
0 Likes

Message 31 of 55

Hi Chris

No - I didn't reboot the router.  I will try that now and run another test.  At the moment I have my main phone only connected to the master socket.  The other two phones are disconnected but the router is switched on.  Will report back in a minute. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 32 of 55

Just seen your last post. Did you reboot the router after disconnecting the other devices? The speed won't change until you do this

Chris

0 Likes

Message 33 of 55

Hi Fizzbin2000,

Is call quality still poor with just one telephone connected to master socket and all other devices (router and telephones) disconnected?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 34 of 55

TEST 2 (Phone 1 in lounge connected to master socket, both Phones 2 and 3 disocnnected.  Router - not connected to any phone - but plugged in near to Phone 2)

Speed to router 16Mbps (Poor)

Speed to device 9Mbps (Poor)

So more or less the same result so that indicates it is not the additional line from my master socket to Phones 2 and/or 3 that is the problem. 

It must be a more general fault with the line - and could it not be outside rather than inside where the problem is located?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 55

TEST 1 results (Phone 1 in lounge connected to master socket, Phone 2 disconnected, Phone 3 connected.  Router - not connected to any phone - but plugged in near to Phone 2).

Connection Test - says fault has been identified and TT are working on it and suggesting I book an engineer.

Speed test to router 16Mbps (Poor)

Speed test to devive 8Mbps (Poor) - that's even worse than yesterday.

Router Test - unable to do as cannot identify my router.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 55

Hi,

Ok, thanks for the update and please let us know how it compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 37 of 55

Test 1 - I have tracked the telephone and looked to see if any obvious damage or issues that might prevent it from working.  I have disconnected Phone 2.  I will run a test now and report back.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 55

I am going to do a few tests this morning.

Just to give you more information:

I have one main phone socket in my lounge but it is difficult to access easily because it is behind a large storage unit (with my TV mounted on it) and bookcase so it means I have to remove loads of heavy items from that in order to move it to get behind it.

My main phone is plugged in there and - more or less - seems to work OK.

I have a split/divder attached to that main phone socket so that I can run an additional phone line and have a phone in two other rooms - one around the corner and the other on the floor above.  So there is an additional line (from the main socket) going from my lounge round the corner into my study (where my router is located) and then up the stairs to a third telephone point in my bedroom.

The problem I am having (one of several) is that when I pick up the phone to make a call or to answer it (call them phone 2 and phone 3) my internet service goes down, sometimes for a short time (maybe a minute) and then resets itself or I have to restart the router.

Then the speed test I did last night gave very poor results and when I do a test on the line there is a problem detected.  Could that problem be outside rather than inside?

0 Likes

Message 39 of 55

Morning,

We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate, however just to advise that if voice service is ok at the test socket then possible time related charges may apply. Does the voice issue still happen if you unplug the router for a short period? I'm just wondering if it could be related to the router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 40 of 55

I am considering ditching the landline completely - the quality of the line is so poor and I will switch to using a mobile phone only.  I will move to getting a 4G home hub from "3" for all my broadband needs.

0 Likes