cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Congestion because of very slow upload speed

johnttjohn
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 34

Hello,

I am really struggling with broadband at our house. We get 10-18mbps download and ping c. 20ms, which isn't great, but workable. What really isn't working is the upload speed; it used to be just over 1mbps now it seems to be capped at 0.7mbps.

What possibly happens is that any sort of upload or backup blocks/congests all the bandwidth, so internet usage is not possible. This does impact stability.

Is there a way to improve this speed (can talktalk do it?)? Is there a minimum speed for upload (11.2 download is the contractual download minimum)?

Thank you, John

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 21 of 34

Thanks, @Chris-TalkTalk , will do.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 34

Could you leave the router connected to the test socket over the weekend to give DLM chance to respond to any improvements by moving you to a faster profile. Could you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check how you're getting on

Chris

0 Likes

johnttjohn
Participant
Private Message
Message 23 of 34

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk , I just changed it to the test socket again yesterday afternoon. Later that evening the internet completely failed for eveyone in the house for a few hours, I believe because my phone was trying (but failing) to back up (after I cancelled it, it returned to its slow normal self).

Thanks for looking in to this and please let us know the next steps, John

0 Likes

Message 24 of 34

Hi John,

Line test is passing, how long has your router been connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 34

@Michelle-TalkTalk , it's plugged in to the test socket again, please could you test the line. No interference on the phone line.

John

0 Likes

Message 26 of 34

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. The line test is now detecting a potential fault. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? Is there any noise on the voice service?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 34

Speed test with and without cover plate were almost identical (12.5 / 0.74, then 12.8 / 0.73). Should I put the cover plate back on?

@Skynet_TX - router admin page shows

"

DS: 17.4 Mbit/sUS: 0.8 Mbit/s

"

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 34

Connect your router to the test socket using a plugin microfilter and see if things improve. 

0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk , yes it does have. What would you advise I do?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 30 of 34

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 31 of 34

Ok, the maximum possible speeds on Fibre 35 are 40 down and 10 up, but the actual speeds you will get are dependent on the length of the phone line between your home and the street cabinet. If your guaranteed minimum is only 11 then that probably indicates you are a reasonable distance from the street cabinet.

If you log into your router at http://192.168.1.1/ what does it show for the upload sync speed ?

The support team here should be able to take a look at this over the next day or two, to see if there is any issue causing your slow upload speed.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 34

Thanks for the message.

The package is Fibre 35 but I believed over normal copper (or maybe aluminium).

I have added my talktalk number to the community account. So hopefully they can have a look.

Appreciate it, John

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 33 of 34

Hi @johnttjohn,

What broadband package are you on, if you are on an ADSL service then the absolute maximum upload sync speed is 1mbps. So upload speeds are very limited on ADSL. If you were on the FTTC Fibre services (Fibre 35 or Fibre 65) then this gives much better upload speeds (up to 10mbps and 20mbps respectively).

The support team here would be able to take a look at your connection to make sure everything looks ok and that no faults are reported.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.