cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router not connecting to server on some devices

davesharma
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Hello, looking for some advice please. Recently I've been having trouble with some devices connecting to the internet. They all connect to the router (Huawei black), but I sometimes get the message that the router cannot connect to the server, even when other devices have connected successfully. This has happened intermittently on two PCs, occasionally on mobiles (usually fixed by restarting the device), on a wifi printer (had to be fixed by adding it as a new printer with the manufacturer's app), and I haven't been able to access the internet at all with my smart TV. Switching the router off for 30 mins hasn't worked, nor disconnecting most of the devices. I've seen similar problems have been solved with a firmware update - could that be the problem? I though about changing the router's channel, but note that said for advanced users, so I though I would check with the community first. Thank in anticipation

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

Message 2 of 8

Since the reset on the printer worked, I've tried the same on the smart TV; returning to factory settings, then reconnecting to the network. Seems to have worked and I will keep an eye on the situation. If the problem recurs I'll try changing the channel, and get back to the community if that doesn't do the trick. Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

Message 3 of 8

Hi davesharma,

I can see that you've had some great advice from Skynet_TX, please let us know if there's any improvement following the channel change

Chris

Message 4 of 8

It's displayed when I ask the TV to check the network connection. I'll try changing the channel. Thanks again.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

You are quite right in saying that Wi-Fi interference will cause issues with your devices connecting to the router, however that can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful errors from the devices themselves when they are trying to access the internet. Where exactly do you see the message about problems connecting to the server, is this a message that appears in a browser when trying to browse.

It might not be Wi-Fi interference, but changing the channels is quite easy to do, so might just be worth a try just to see if it does change the behaviour of the issues you are seeing at all.

Message 6 of 8

Thank you. Yes, it's only the wireless connections that have been affected. Though I've only got a Sky box as a wired device. My one query with your reply is that you've mentioned the router's wifi signal suffering from interference, but the devices state they are connecting to the router, but the router can't connect to the server - is that the message I would get if it's a problem with the wifi signal? I would have thought that would prevent the device connecting to the router? I will update my profile - thanks for that advice.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi @davesharma,

Are all of the devices you are having issues with connected wirelessly ?, do you have any devices connected by Ethernet cable, if so have they ever had the same issue ?.

If the issue is only affecting wireless devices then it could be related to Wi-Fi interference. So yes, you could change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.