cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

DLM not working on new connection

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 27 of 27

Hi there,

My Fibre 65 connection went live on 06 December after being transferred from PlusNet, and ever since then DLM has not kicked in to drop my downstream SnR margin from 18dB to 3dB like it has been for over 5 years. This means that I've lost ~5mbit of my downstream speed.

I am using the same cables and microfilter as I was using with PlusNet, but I am now using TalkTalk's Huawei DG8041W router. 

Is there a way to get DLM to kick in? I restarted the router yesterday after 7 days of uptime 

and it made no difference.

Thanks.

Router stats.png

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27
0 Likes

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 27

Thanks Chris. I'll send one back ASAP and use the TP-Link W9970 as a modem in bridge mode.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 27

Hi aga84,

Sorry to hear that there was no improvement with the Sagemcom. Yes could you return one of the routers please, you can decide which one you would like to keep

Chris

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 27

Hey,

I received the Sagemcom router a few hours ago and just plugged it in. Looks like the connection speed is the same as the Huawei so neither of the TalkTalk routers are as fast as my old TP-Link W9970.

I assume that I have to return one of the TalkTalk routers. Do I get to choose which one to keep?

aga84_0-1640195022808.png

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

@aga84 wrote:

Seems like the modem in TalkTalk's Huawei router isn't as good

I'm not sure if the correct way of expressing it. Rather than some modems being "better" or "worse", I think it's more like different modems will perform slightly differently depending on various factors such as the line length and quality, the equipment in the fibre cabinet etc. The "best" preforming one for your circumstances might not be the best for someone else.

I'm guessing that as your downstream SNR target appears to be 3dB that you are connected to a Huawei cabinet, as I believe all the ECI ones are 6dB, so perhaps slightly ironic that the Huawei modem/router doesn't perform as well.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27
0 Likes

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 27

Thanks very much 🙂 I'll report back when it's up and running.

Message 8 of 27

Hi aga84

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 27

Hi Debbie,

That would be really appreciated, thanks!

Message 10 of 27

Hi aga84

Thanks for your reply.

Would you like me to send a Sagemcom WIFI hub for testing to see how the connection compares?

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 27

Switching back to the TP-Link W9970 solved the problem. Seems like the modem in TalkTalk's Huawei router isn't as good, although the W9970 is pretty rubbish as a router since the CPU is so slow. Fortunately it supports bridge mode.

Thanks for your assistance!
image.png

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Please let us know once this router is connected and we can re-check the connection stat again.

Thanks

0 Likes

aga84
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 27

Yeah I have a TP-Link W9970 modem/router that I can try.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

Hello,

Ok, do you have an alternative router that you could try please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for following up so early. Like you said, moving the phoneline to test socket has had a very minimal impact. I don't think DLM has done anything since the connection has an uptime of almost 50 hours. I had a look through the emails I received when I signed up for Fibre 65 and I can't see any mention of predicted speeds.

I was with TalkTalk about 2 years ago at the same address and I definitely got a better downstream line rate. Seems like something has changed since then.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed has only increased ever so slightly. Can I just confirm, were you provided with a predicted speed range for the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

@aga84 wrote:

That is indeed a "d'oh!" moment! However, it doesn't really change the fact that my line is 4-5mbit slower than it was with Plusnet 11 days ago and nothing has changed apart from transferring the service to TalkTalk and switching to their supplied Huawei router.

As I understand it, there are 3 "stability" profiles which ISPs can specify the Openreach DLM uses to manage the line:

1. Speed (optimised for fastest speed over stability)
  2. Standard
  3. Stable (for maximum stability over speed)

I believe that almost all ISPs use one of the first two options, but they don't seem keen to publish that information.

I believe TalkTalk use the slower "standard" profile. I would guess that Plusnet use the fastest "speed" profile (as their parent company BT do) which would account for the difference in speed on your line.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Hello,

Great thank you and I will check back in on Monday 🙂

Thanks

Message 19 of 27

That's perfect, thanks!

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hi,

No problem, no rush. We can then check back in with you on Monday if that's ok to see how the speeds compare?

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes