cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Desktop computer will not connect to the wifi hib.

c_wakeraley
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 29

My home desktop computer will not connect to the talk talk WiFi hub.

What I have tried:

On computer:

- reset WiFi adapter.

- reset Winsock and iP stacks.

- uninstall and reinstall drivers.

- bought a separate WiFi dongle adapter and try to connect, will not connect saying ' cannot connect to network '

- try to connect PC one metre to hub, won't connect.

- Install fresh copy of Windows 11, will not connect.

- connected computer via Lan, computer can Access Internet, take cable out and try to connect via WiFi, it will not connect.

- Pc will connect to other WiFi networks, just not the talk talk WiFi hub.

On hub:

Reset WiFi hub, won't connect.

The lights on the hub is solid white.

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Good morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on and if this is now working ok?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 29

Hi @c_wakeraley 

How are you getting on?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29
0 Likes

Message 4 of 29

Hi c_wakeraley

Thank you 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Message 5 of 29

Hi Debbie,

I will do that now.

thank you

Message 6 of 29

HI c_wakeraley

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number to your Community Profile - Private Notes section, I can then send the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 29

I'll ask TakTalk to replace the router for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 8 of 29

Hi @KeithFrench @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I did a Router Factory Reset, waited for 30 mins, unfortunately i have the same outcome, the computer will not connect to the WIFI hub, tried on both adapters again, same outcome on both of ' could not connect after 5-10 seconds. 

would it be possible to Replace the router?

thank you.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Hi Keith,

Thank you for looking into my problem.

I will do a factory reset of the router Now and get back to you.

regards.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 29

Hi @c_wakeraley @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Thanks for the screenshots, there is nothing different to my PC in that respect.

All matches on the internet for "Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time" error point to PMF (Protected Management Frames), where this facility is enforced within an AP/router. The fix is to configure the router to have this parameter set to "optional" rather than "enforced". However, even though this is not configurable in the Sagemcom, it must already be "optional", otherwise, some cheap IoT devices would not connect. The only other post I saw was from a different ISP where a firmware update on their router had got corrupted.

Therefore I think it might be a router issue, but why it is only affecting your PC, I don't know. 

Please can you try doing a factory default of the router's configuration & if that does not work, I'll ask TalkTalk to replace your router.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

Hi Keith, 

Pm Ed you some screenshots of the router.

Cheers.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 29

Thanks for the screenshots, I can't see anything there that might cause this. Different manufacturers of the adapters despite possibly using the same wireless chipset as other vendors expose different options.

I need to do some more research into this & hopefully, I might have an answer tomorrow for you.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 29

Also, on your router, what is the WiFi security mode set to? This can be found for the 2.4GHz band by going to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz gear icon > Basic

Then repeat for the 5GHz band.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 29

Can you get me a screenshot of the options available to configure your USB WiFi card?

Go to Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click your one & select Properties. Click the Advanced tab & the various options will be listed there. It may well take a couple of screenshots to get them all via the scrollbar. Then add them in a PM to me again. When I see what ones the driver is exposing to the UI, then I may want to see what one or more are set to.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

Hi Keith,

i believe its a Sagemcom, Ver: FAST 5464-2T4.

thank you for your efforts. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 29

Which make/model of WiFi Hub do you have? It is on the label on the back of the router, directly behind the pull out panel.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 29

Thanks for them. I need to see if I can replicate it here & get back to you, maybe later today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I can devote to this.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

hi Keith,

i will generate those.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Hi Keith,

I have one internal adapter

- TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter, initially this adapter would not connect, like you say it would take too much time, eventually giving me a " can't connect to this network ( ending in 83).

second is the one connect to Usb ( I brought it thinking that my first adapter was the problem)

- Realtek 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB WIFI adapter.

As i try to connect same thing happens, it takes 5-10 seconds to 'verify' then just says 'cant connect to network'

at this point, i tried clean Install of windows 11.

same problem with both the adapters.

as its a clean install i can't  forget the network as it would be the first time that i connect to my talk talk WIFI, it does connect Via Lan cable though.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 29

There is another possibility, but it is complex.

There is a facility brought in with the latest security mode WPA3, that has often been backwardly applied to WPA2 Personal, called "Protected Management Frames". This is to stop some jamming of the WiFi by unscrupulous people. I think it may be enforced in WPA3 but optional in WPA2. For this to work the WiFi adapter must support this facility & will probably cause a connection attempt to fail, if the network adapter does not support it.

To find out what is causing this there are two more netsh commands I need to see. Please copy & paste the output from these into a PM to me (to protect your privacy) rather than just putting them in a reply. The ones I need are:-

netsh wlan show interface

netsh wlan show wirelesscapabilities

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes