cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Do I need a new router?

Alisonq
Team Player
Private Message
Message 18 of 18

My speeds dip frequently and the solution is usually to turn the router off then on again, which works for a short period of time. When I do a speed test it says the speed to the router is good (76 ) but the speed from the router  to the device is weak  (26-30).I have used the troubleshooter facility and it always comes back to switching the router on and off again. I have a Huawei HG633 which I have had for a number of years. Is it time for a new router or can anyone advise? Thanks

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 18

Morning,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Thanks, Keith, that’s it working now.
Best wishes

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 18

Hi @Alisonq 

All you need to do with the TalkTalk WiFi extender is to connect the network connector unit to a LAN port on the router & then connect the WiFi extender temporarily near the router. Once it all comes up OK, leave it like this for 15 mins in case of any firmware updates & then move it to your desired location. Are you trying to get WiFi in the garden with the unit connected to a power outlet in the property near the garden, or is it in a garage or other outbuilding etc?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi, got the new router but then had no phone line for a few days but that is now fixed, thank goodness. The new router works a treat and now have great speeds but had to change my network and password. Now the only issue I have is the booster so that I can get Wi-Fi in the garden. Can you tell me if I need to do something with it? We have a weak spot again at the back of the house. It is D-Link DHP-W610AV if that is any use. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18
0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Thank you, will do

Message 7 of 18

Hi Alisonq

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

yes please

Alisonq
Team Player
Private Message
Message 9 of 18

Yes please, willing to try anything

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 18

Thanks Keith 🙂

@Alisonq are you happy for me to send a replacement router for testing?

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 18

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk, the customer only has iPhones & iPads & I don't think there is a WiFi analyser that will run on them. Could you consider swapping out the router, just in case please?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 18

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Alisonq
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 18

Can you send me the guide please?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 18

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Alisonq
Team Player
Private Message
Message 16 of 18

They are wireless thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

How are your devices connecting to the router, via wired (Ethernet), wireless or a mixture of the two?

Keith

0 Likes