cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

EERO router

hongkongdt
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Talktalk recently sent me an EERO router to replace my original router.  I have configured it fine. However, it has defaulted to the same wifi channel as my neighbours wifi so the signal is poor at times. Both are on channel 6. I have tried the looking in the EERO app but can't find anywhere to change the 2.4G or 5G channels. This seems like a major flaw especially for people who live in more densely communities. I have switched back to the older router as this lets me change wif channels. 

Any ideas how to fix the channel issue for the EERO?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

You probably need to check out the WiFi interference itself.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional Eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

If the eero changes channels automatically why is it always on channel 6 which clashes with a few of my neighbours 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Yes I've followed the troubleshooting section but there is nothing in there that helps with channels.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Thanks, the only support option I can find in the eero app takes me to the takktalj support team not the eero team.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Even if you could change the Wi-Fi channel, you should only ever use channels 1,6 or 11, as they are the only ones classified as non-overlapping channels.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Morning,

If eero detects interference on a specific channel then it should adjust this automatically. As far as I am aware you can't manually change the wireless channels on the eero. Through the app there is an option to contact eero support direct who should be able to offer additional advice.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Thank. I tried that nothing in there about changing wifi channels.  I am asking a fairly basic wifi router question which is 'how od I change the 2.4G wifi channel from 6 to 8?'

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, did you follow the eero app's inbuilt troubleshooting section? You can find this in settings within the eero app.

Thanks

0 Likes