on 06-04-2022 09:07 PM
The Community has been really helpful in the past, I really hope someone can help me with my current woes because I baffled by it. Is there anything else that might be the cause of it or that I can try?
Apologies for the long post but thought best to set it all out.
I’m on TalkTalk faster Fibre and should be getting at least 42mbs. Last Tuesday the line would drop out every 2 or 3 minutes then re-establish connection only to fail again. After checking several things myself I ran the TalkTalk online check which diagnosed a line fault and arranged for an OpenReach engineer to fix it. They came out, found my supply line into the master socket was damaged and replaced that and fitted a new master socket. After that and with the engineer there and with the router plugged directly into the master box I could get 45mbs download and 16mbs upload on wifi and all was good.
I normally have the router in my study wired into my pc with a cable running from the master socket to the router. When I moved the router to my study I could only get 8mbs download/upload. I thought there may be a fault with the cable running through the house, so moved the router back next to the master socket and connected it directly to it. Still got 8mbs. After checking several things and waiting a day in case it settled down, I ran the TalkTalk online check and it diagnosed a line fault and arranged for an OpenReach engineer to come out again.
The OpenReach engineer said they had tested the line from their side and couldn’t see any issue and suspected the problem may be on my side. The engineer thought it might be a phone extension line that was wired into the box. I hadn’t realised that had been connected, it as it was redundant the engineer removed it. After that and with the engineer there and with the router plugged directly into the master socket I could get 45mbs download and 16mbs upload on wifi and all was good.
So I moved the router back to the study and the speed dropped to 8mbs again. Could be the cable so I put the router back next to the master box and connected it directly to it. Still getting 8mbs. I've tried lots of things (see below) but can't get anything faster than 8mbs.
So now my supply line comes into the house to the master box. There is nothing else wired into the master box. I have the micro filter plugged into the master socket (the one behind the face plate) and the broadband cable between that and my router. No phone or anything else is plugged into the master socket. No extensions or anything else between the router and the master socket. On wifi I get around 8mbs download/upload and the same with my laptop plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable.
I have tried different micro filters, different broadband cables and an new router straight out of the box. I tried switching the router off and on, unpluging it before switching on and resets, waiting 5 minutes before switching on again.
For the first time I’ve just looked at the router setup and one of the pages it was showing the line maximum downstream rate [kbps] as 42,535 and the actual as 8,799.
Is there anything else I can try? I can't figure out what might be throttling the speed?
It only seems to work with the engineer there standing over it 🙂
I rather not get OpenReach out again as I don’t believe there is a line fault.
Grateful for any suggestions or help.
on 11-04-2022 07:48 AM
on 08-04-2022 08:44 PM
An OpenReach engineer called today and confirmed my broadband was very slow. He ended up doing a hard reset of some hardware at the cabinet at the top of the road which restored my speed. He couldn't diagnose the root cause, and hence warned it could reoccur and would then need further investigation.
It is fine now and hopefully that will continue.
Thank for your help with resolving this.
on 08-04-2022 08:19 AM
on 07-04-2022 08:11 AM
The line test we completed has detected a potential fault on the line (Openreach line test)
The engineer may be able to fix this fault externally. Openreach have not requested a visit to the property at the moment.
on 07-04-2022 08:02 AM
Thank you @Debbie-TalkTalk
It would be good if OpenReach could check the line from their end. Last time they confirmed it was all good remotely, which it was.
To complicate things after Friday I'm going to be away for the rest of April, and any actions that can't be done this week will have to be deferred to May.
Thank you again.
on 07-04-2022 07:49 AM
The line test is still detecting the same fault so I have passed this straight over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.
We should receive further updates from Openreach within the next 48-72hrs.
I will continue to monitor for additional updates.
on 07-04-2022 07:35 AM
on 07-04-2022 07:29 AM
Thanks for replying so early! Sorry no it wasn't but it is now. I had moved the router back to the study (as there wasn't any difference in speed), but have now put it next to the master socket again. It is plugged in via the micro filter and broadband cables, nothing else connected or in the circuit. It is the same micro filter and cable that worked fine when the engineer was here. Photo of my set up attached, together with speed readings via WiFi.
on 07-04-2022 06:57 AM