cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

High packet loss

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 23 of 23

Hi,

I've been having issues with high packet loss over the course of a month now but it has now gotten to the stage where websites no longer load. Restarting the router for 30 minutes occasionally works but it is hit and miss. I've run some ping tests and done some tests with pingplotter (basically tracert). These tests were done whilst wired and connected into the test socket. I've also attached the router device status page talktalkrouter.pngpingedge.pngpinggoogle.pngpingplotteredge.pngpingplottergoogle.png

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hello,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the stability has improved 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 23

It will be triggered automatically if you had a complete loss of service. Full details here, @Boothen:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 3 of 23

Hi Michelle, thanks for the update. It looks like everything has been stable since!

Is there anything I need to do to trigger the auto compensation as I was without service from 25/04/2022 to 05/05/2022 inclusive?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Morning,

I've checked again now and we've received an update to advise that Openreach have resolved the fault. I've also re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection stats look ok. Please let us know how the connection/performance over the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Morning,

I've checked and the fault is still with Openreach and is now linked to an major incident. The estimated resolution date is currently 06/05 so we will check back tomorrow for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 6 of 23

Hi Michelle, is there any update you can give me on this?

I spoke to openreach on Monday as they called and they said they've replaced a part in the DSLAM but I still have no internet. Websites won't load etc... My upload speed is actually 0.00Mbps which I didn't think possible

speedtest2.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Hello,

Thank you 🙂 I've checked for an update and I can see that the line test identified a possible external line fault and this was passed to a line engineer for investigation. It looks like the location of the fault has been identified and this is still progressing with Openreach at the moment. No timescales provided at the moment.

Thanks

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 23

Hi Michelle,

I've now posted that router back for you 🙂
Do you know if there's an engineer date planned as I've not heard anything back yet? The service centre is still flagging an issue and things at the moment are the same

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Morning,

Ok thank you. Yes please 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 10 of 23

Hi Michelle, thanks for the message. I'll let you know if I hear anything tomorrow!

I do have the return bag so shall send the old router back in that 🙂

The internet was blipping on and off constantly this morning but is now at ~4% packet loss but looks to be degrading. A speed test also gives very poor results. Fingers crossed Openreach can find the fault

speedtest.pngpingplottergoogle2.png

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hello,

Thanks for the update. If you don't hear anymore over the next 24hrs then please let us know and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you. Did you receive a router returns bag?

Thanks

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 23

Thanks for sending out the new router, it arrived today. Very fast! Prior to connecting this new router the internet had dropped entirely. I've since connected the new router up to the test socket with all new cables + adapter + router and am now unable to connect to the internet. The light on the router is now orange and doesn't seem to be recovering.

I've tried running a live connection test from another internet supply on the service centre and this is stating there needs to be a line test done due to a fault but doing so flags a "Oops, it looks like there's been a technical issue" message. However I have since had a text+email that an engineer is being arranged due to a fault between the house and the exchange. I have also noticed the estimated speed in the service centre has dropped to an "Estimated speed: 22 Mbps - 28 Mbps" which is half of what I have been getting historically

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime should I send the new or the old router back?

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 13 of 23

Yes that's correct. I had to set some settings in the router to get it working with the Talktalk backend but after that I was getting the same results. The results are actually identical with wired and wireless but all the tests I've posted here have been wired. Occasionally resetting it will give me a few minutes of operation but it usually quickly degrades

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Hi,

Ok. Can I just confirm, did you test wired with the alternative router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 15 of 23

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately websites won't load when this happens so I am unable to do a speedtest. I would assume if I could though the speed would be very low due to all the TCP retransmissions

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Hello,

Can I just confirm, when this happens do the speeds also drop at the same time if you run a wired speed test?

Thanks

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 17 of 23

Thanks for sorting that out Debbie, I'll be sure to try it as soon as it arrives.

I did manage to borrow a TP-Link router from work but the results are the same. The morning was around around an 8% packet loss, but at around 4pm I did manage to get a packet loss of around 2% which is just about usable but this has now got increasingly worse till it's now at 31% in the evening so websites are no longer loading.

Interestingly the first time things started getting worse a month ago was when a new flat moved into our building and it got a lot worse when another flat was occupied. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence though

pingplotteredge2.png

0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

Hi Boothen

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Boothen
Participant
Private Message
Message 19 of 23

Yes please that would be good. I've currently ran out of other things to try 🙂

Message 20 of 23

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes