cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Inconsistent and high latency

simhub1985
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Hi

I need some help please with ping that regularly spikes to about 200ms and will sometimes stay like that for hours.  At other times it's more like 30ms and stable.  The issue seems to be with the first hope from my house to TalkTalk.  Is there anything you can do to diagnose this please?

simhub1985_0-1715504474896.png

Thanks

Simon

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which is clear. I can see from your post above that this also happens if you connect wired at the ONT, is this right? Does it seem to happen at certain times of the day? If you run a speed test when the latency increases, are the speed also low?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Thank you Keith

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Morning,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, Full Fibre account number & if you can, please include the serial number from your ONT in the Private Notes section. Please also try to include an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

It's the same I'm afraid, brief periods when ping is about 5ms but mostly unstable and over 100ms.

simhub1985_0-1715530125229.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

Assuming the 150M service is over full fibre, what is it like if you connect the PC directly to the ONT, in place of the router? 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

simhub1985
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith

This is on a PC with ethernet to the router.  I have Fibre 150.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Are these on wired (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi connected devices? If the latter, which Wi-Fi band are they using, the 2.4 or 5GHz?

What package are you on?

Keith

0 Likes