cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router loses connection - Only when accessing online games

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 48 of 48

This issue has been ongoing for some time and I'm all out of avenues for a resolution. So if anyone can look at the info below and come to any solution that'd be much appreciated, as my current one is "wait for fibre". (satellite internet / cellular options aren't viable)

The issue:

The internet is 95% of the time completely fine. Until I try to play a online game where I'll be loading say more than 4-5 other peoples data in-game (happens noticeably more frequently).  The router will randomly completely lose it's connection and the lights flash orange. It will automatically reconnect. It can then immediately re-occur when reconnecting to the game or happen 6-7 more times spread out or not at all and be fine. The disconnects will happen everyday without fail but is fully capable of running the games for multiple hours without a problem.

I've never had an issue like there where the internet fully stops, usually you'd get high latency as the bandwidth drops, which happens easily when downloading with my speeds. Side note, sometimes crashes do occur while not on a game, but this is exceedingly rare.

Details:

• Max D/L speed from exchange 42Mbps. Speed tests tend to sit around 25-30.
  • Distance to exchange is quite far and its copper cable into the home.
  • Main access to the internet is on the computer via ethernet cable.
  • Throughout the day there are also random ping spikes and guaranteed ping spikes at set times (two set times twice a day, i.e 02:15 and 14:15, 07:15 and 19:15)
  • Flat Building with 6 homes total in this block.

Attempts to resolve:

• Keeping a record of all the disconnects and there is no pattern other than the one above.
  • Use a different PC.
  • Simple turn router off and on or factory resets.
  • Run talk talk router in modem mode and relay it into my own third party router.
  • Replace all cabling/fixtures including trying other sockets that aren't the master one.
  • 4 new routers provided by talk talk.
  • Calling talktalk support far too many times going through the same useless loop of them running tests and telling me there is nothing wrong.
  • 4-5 talk talk engineers coming to the home to run the same tests.
  • 3-4 BT openreach engineers trying multiple things. Lift and shift, rebuilding the radius, tidy up connectors. All of which when running their tests tell me nothing is showing at fault.
  • See if neighbours have similar issues - none play games to my knowledge so not conclusive.
  • Turn off everything feasible at the switchboard/sockets to try and eliminate REIN/SHINE.
  • Running as many downloads and internet using software outside of games at once to simulate high download/upload usage. Does not cause crashes, but extremely slow speeds. (youtube videos, steam downloads, spotify, netflix, twitch, chrome tabs etc.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 1 of 48

Morning Shaun,

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Michelle

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 48

So far still no disconnects, unsure what's causing the spree of stability. I'll continue to monitor as this has happened before.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 48

Hi Shaun,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 48

OK thanks Shaun. Could you see how it goes over the next couple of days and we'll check in again with you on Wednesday to see how it's been

Chris

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 48

Borrowed a phone and there was not anything untoward noise wise on dial up or during a call. Tried a couple times at various hours.

Side note: I've not had a disconnection since Friday. I don't think its fixed as this happens sometimes, just odd that it can be stable for random brief periods of time.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 48

Hi

Any landline phone will do.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 48

Hi Karl,

That sounds like an interesting angle to look into.

I shall try and acquire a phone to test this out. Does it need to be anything specific or any landline phone that plugs into the master socket?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 48

Hi

are you able to borrow a phone from a friend or neighbour for 2 minutes just to test your line to see if there is a clear dial tone or any noise or static.

Whilst the usual broadband and phone tests are passing and showing clear, I've been looking at some more in depth testing across the line and am showing an increased voltage on the line >7 volts.

A-Earth & B-Earth AC voltages too different, ratio > 0.03 (mfl) one or more DC voltage(s) higher than expected, volts > 10.0 volts (mfl) from discharge (mfl) length too different from expected one (mfl)

So we could go down the route of a line engineer, but I would like to see what noise i detected at your end.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 48

Looks like it may just be a router, that is unfortunate. It would seem I'm stuck with disconnecting internet then. I'm out of ideas to troubleshoot.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 48

Hi Shaun,

Could you confirm that it does have a built in modem and isn't just a router

Chris

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 48

I did try to use this guide when I set it up before and had no luck. The issue being it doesn't really say where I need to apply these settings.

When setting up a new connection (as the standard wireless router setup) I get the following options:

• Automatic IP
    • talk talk does not appear as an ISP profile option, the manual option looks as below
  • Shaun43_0-1725536718228.png

• PPPoE
    • This option leads to a username and password prompt whereby the password cannot be blank as instructed by the guide.
  • The last three also don't have options like the guide.
  • Static IP
  • PPTP
  • L2TP

All the other settings within Wireless, LAN, WAN  etc don't appear to have anything from the guide.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 48

Thank you for confirming. Did the help guide help?

Michelle

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 48

I use an Asus RT-AC68U

0 Likes

Message 14 of 48

Morning Shaun,

I'm sorry to hear this. Which 3rd party router are you using please?

Set up a non-TalkTalk router - TalkTalk Help & Support

Michelle

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 48

Sadly, the visit went as usual. Ran all the tests possible and couldn't find any faults with the line.

I would like to eliminate the Talk Talk router as the issue. While I have ran it in modem mode and used a third party router, this still uses the Talk Talk router. How do I setup a third party router to plug directly into the master socket? I've tried before and I've not been able to get it to work.

Outside of that I appear to have no other recourse other than to try a different provider.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 48

I've booked the appointment for tomorrow morning - September 05 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on 

Chris

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 48

Please proceed

0 Likes

Message 18 of 48

Hi Shaun,

The condition under which a charge may apply are outlined in the help article (Engineer charges - TalkTalk Help & Support) - I think it's unlikely that you will receive a charge in this scenario but you would have to agree to potential charges before we can book the engineer. If you are charged and feel that the charge is unfair you can contest them and we will review them. Please let us know if you'd like to proceed with the visit

Chris

0 Likes

Shaun43
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 48

As I have had this issue ongoing for, on my record, up to a year I will not accept any costs. I have not yet been charged for any of the visits so far either. To this date nobody knows what the issue is to even determine "faults that aren't caused by our network or equipment."

As I work from home, availability for this week and next between those days at any time is fine.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 48

OK, can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes