cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Internet connection dropping frequently :Warning DHCPC WAN DHCP client (1) stopped

Ld1111
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi,

Everything was working fine, and out of the blue about 10 days ago the internet connection started dropping, and then reconnecting within a minute or so throughout the day.

This can happen randomly but often at least once an hour.

There were no changes to any cable, furniture or router or anything that would influence the connection.

When this happens the light on the router goes amber, flashing amber, then flashing amber and white and then steady white, which I understand is the normal cycle when disconnected and connecting.

I contacted TalkTalk support via chat and call, and they've not been able to detect anything wrong with the line. The router was old so they sent a new one, but we are still experiencing exactly the same issue with the new one, and they pushed firmware updates and it hasn't done anything. They still can't see what the issue is. After 10 days of this issue and contacting support 4 times all I was left with was "I've done all the checks I can now, please monitor over the next 48 hours and of the issue persists contact us again".

So I've been monitoring it.

I've done some more digging and I've found the logs for the router which show a bunch of DNS name resolution errors, but also whenever the connection drops it says:

"Warning

DHCPC

WAN DHCP client (1) stopped"

Date/Time

23.06.2024 11:51:56

Severity

Info

Module

XDSL

VDSL connectivity is up port 1

Date/Time

23.06.2024 11:51:14

Severity

Warning

Module

DHCPC

WAN DHCP client (1) stopped

Date/Time

23.06.2024 11:51:14

Severity

Info

Module

XDSL

VDSL connectivity is down port 1

What can I do to get this fixed?

Any help appreciated, this is a big problem as I work from home and heavily rely on a good internet connection.

Thank you

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Ld1111,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi Ld1111,

There are details of the potential charges here -  Engineers charges

You can PM (private message) me your availability if you prefer not to post it on the Community

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Yes it sounds like we need an engineer to come round as it is still the same if not worse now, but I don't understand what charges there may be?

Since we are paying a subscription to a service that we are essentially not getting, isn't an eventual engineer visit included, much like your efforts to help us with this technical support?

Also I don't feel perfectly comfortable sharing my availability on a public platform - how can we schedule that privately?

Thank you for your continued support

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. If the connection is still dropping at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please can you confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges and also provide some availability AM (8-1) or PM (1-6) and we can book the engineer visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi, yes we replaced all the cables with the ones that were delivered with the new router.

And yes it is still plugged in to that test socket and the connection is indeed still dropping.

Thank you for looking into this.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Morning,

I've re-checked your connection stats now and I can still see re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? When you connected the replacement router did you also replace the cables and microfilter?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Good afternoon,

Thank you for confirming. I'll re-check your connection stats again first thing in the morning to see how the stability compares now that the router is connected to the test socket and will post an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi,

I've now plugged in the router to the socket under the panel.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone (if you use one) directly at the test socket for 24hrs so we can see how the stability compares please.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Thank you for your help.

I think it does, from other threads of sockets looking like mine it does seem that there should be a test one hidden in there, it's a 'Master Socket 5C'.

What should I do?

I won't be able to try things from my end in until later this evening.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hello,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which is clear (shows router is off) but I can see re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

I've updated my details, hopefully you can retrieve the account in question. 

Please note the router will be off today, but I'll be turning it back on tonight.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 15

Morning,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

This sounds like an unstable connection for some reason. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes