Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnecting intermittantly

Pompeyexile
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 7

Hope you're sitting comfortable because this is a long one....

In the past couple of weeks the internet keeps disconnecting. However, upon checking my network on my laptop it clearly states I am connected and have a secured internet connection. Also my Nord VPN is saying it is connected to a UK server.

I have checked firewalls but no issues there. I live in a small house and the router is in the lounge where we usuallly use our laptops or tablets. Even if we go upstairs we have stud walling in the house (1980's rubbish build) so there are no solid brick or concrete walls to go through.

Yes I have changed my Talktalk router about three years ago because it was so old and replaced it with a quite expensive Asus router which is more powerful and is compatible with Talktalk service.

I pay extra for fibre in the cabinet but even since getting that my download speeds never reach more than 1.76mbps yes you read that correctly. Now of course we could never download anything quickly even Sky catchup takes overnight to download if it doesn't fail first which it usually does. As for Netflix totally unwatchable so cancelled that.

Four weeks ago some chaps came and dug trenches in our close putting in trunking and when I asked what it was for they said Openreach fiber to connect it from the exchange which is about three miles away directly to the property. A week later they ran the trunking to each property boundery but that won't come on-line until September.

When checking with Taltalk they say there are no issues in the area I am getting 2mbps download which I am definately not, they can see my internet keeps dropping out but can't say anything about the router as they don't recognise it.

I have spoken to them when I had a computer expert of 20 plus years to sort out my NAS connection who by the way confirmed the Asus router I had was a good one and all they could suggest was to have one of their routers (obviously top spec non-Talktalk brands are useless) so they would send me one.....but never did.

By anyone's standards 1.76mbps download is utter tripe a pigeon would deliver it quicker and when my Talktalk contract runs out in the next couple of months I will definately be looking elsewhere which is a shame as I have stayed loyal to them for a very long time.

All of this by the way is compounded by the fact my partner has to self isolate and work from home which because of the constant drop out is almost impossible even connecting directly by ethernet cable to the router.

Just needed to get this off my chest so thanks for listening.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Pompeyexile

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Well since living here (30 years) we have never been plugged directly into the main BT socket as it is in the entrance hall and there is no room for a shelf or table on which to put a phone let alone a router. We had a small extention built onto the front of the house and an Openreach engineer came and put in new junction box and cable to the main socket in the entrance hall. Consequently, we had it extended to the lounge where it services the Sky and the rest of the house and where the router is positioned.

Since then it has only been in the last month or so we are having intermittent internet drop out making working from home viturally impossible. To be honest if a more powerful quality made router from a respected manufacturer such as Asus does not improve the service then I would think sending a TalkTalk router would be no better. An Openreach Engineer would be the option I would prefer. Also can TalkTalk find out from Openreach when the new fibre cables which have been put into our street and up to each individual house boundaries will become live so we can have fibre directly into the house as my attempts to get that info from Openreach have come to no avail.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi Pompeyexile

Thanks for updating your Community and I am sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing.

I have completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

Would it be ok for me to send a replacement router (just for testing) so we can rule this out? Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

If all testing has been completed with an alternative router, cable and filter at the test socket then the next step would be for us to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Pompeyexile
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 7

Hi OCE_Michelle,
I have updated my profile as requested.

Pompeyexile
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 7
Hi OCE_Michelle,
I have updated my profile as requested.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 7

Hi Pompeyexile,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes