cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Loss of service during periods of heavy uploading

Malcs3
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

We are finding when one our household is uploading videos nobody else is able to use our broadband connection. Outage lasts for as long as the video is being uploaded. Most uploads take place after 9pm when other usage is may be viewing netflix and general web browsing.

I reported this via Chat and some changes were made to our router settings to help with bandwidth but this has had no effect.

Please would you check our router settings again and advise if our package is sufficient for the current usage described above.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Malcs3,

I've ordered a different make and model of router to test with, it should be with you within a couple of days. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 2 of 12

Yes, that might be worth a try but I believe we on your best router already unless it is faulty.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Malcs3

I'm sorry to hear this.

I think we should send a different make and model of router for testing. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 12

It happens where ever the upload is taking place.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Malcs3,

Does it happen when you're uploading to somewhere specific or does it happen when you upload anywhere?

Chris

0 Likes

Malcs3
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 12

Hi, we're all on WiFi. This isn't a connection issue but a congestion issue as the problem only arises when there is a heavy upload.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok. Can I just confirm, are you connected wired or wireless when this happens?

Thanks

0 Likes

Malcs3
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Thanks, I've updated my profile. We're on faster fibre which gives a download of about 40mb and an upload of 9mb.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

Which package are you on, @Malcs3?

Staff can pick this up on Monday, but to identify your account they'll need you to complete your community forum profile details. 

Please add your Talktalk landline number by going via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard.

Don't post any personal information details on the public forum pages.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Malcs3
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Thanks, but I didn't think Talk Talk had these sort of limitations on it's service. It seems pretty poor that a single user can knock out usage for everyone else especially when we have a fairly high spec broadband. It's nigh on impossible to find a quieter time. How would we change upload bandwidth?

Are you not able to do anything more with our router? It would be really disappointing if we are hitting the  limitations on our service based on the package we have.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

The majority of services are asymmetrical, which means that uploads can hamper download performance. Check on the service to which you are uploading whether you can limit bandwidth. This will make the uploads slower, but should allow you to continue using the downstream side without issue. Alternatively, time uploads for when you know that download usage will be quiet.

0 Likes