cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Sagemcom Fast 5364 router worked perfectly for one week then "cannot connect to this network"

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

New Sagemcom Fast 5364 router worked perfectly for one week then "cannot connect to this network" for a PC with Belkin nano wireless adaptor.  I put back old HG635 router and no problem at all. However other wired PC and laptops work with new Sagemcom router.  The new router is now packed away  until I can sort this issue.

Question: what would cause fault out of nowhere?  I have spent a couple of hours trying different solutions but to no avail, "forget connection" etc

Any ideas anybody?

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Router now works after contacting TT support and getting me to plug it in again.  That day we also had a voltage overload and other electrical items failed and cooker top oven does not reach temperature. Other neighbours were affected.  UK Power Networks is sending out a Hotpoint engineer to fix it as a goodwill gesture.  As for the router whether the voltage overload was the cause of my problem or not is not known.

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Guess what?  I turned on the PC with wireless adaptor and got "cannot connect to this network"  The old HG635 router is back again and working perfectly. The new router has been packed away in disgust.

Any ideas anybody?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Limey1, if the router isn't on a surge protected connection it sounds very likely that you've identified the cause of the failure. Will UK Power cover the cost of a replacement for you?

Ady

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Thank you Ady for your response.  Yes it was in a surge protected strip along with the PC speakers which blew and plunged the house into darkness.  My mains protection had tripped. Perhaps my surge protector is not working but my PC is fine.

The Hotpoint engineer has replaced a blown cooker element this morning.

So where do we go from here? The Sagemcom router has a fault with my wireless PC with the Belkin nano adaptor but works with another laptop and ethernet to this PC.  I cannot prove the overvoltage is the cause and UK power networks suggested I contacted you.

How much would a replacement router be or could you send me a replacement to see whether the fault is indeed with the Sagemcom router or not?

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

An electrical engineer on behalf of UK power networks called yesterday to test my house wiring especially the "fuse box" or MCB as I believe it is called now.  All was well.  However the thought is that an over voltage just knocks out equipment rather than spooking the software.  The issue with the wireless PC was a few hours before other people reported over voltage.  The wireless PC via HG635 router has just said "cannot connect to this network" so the issue is with the PC and/or Belkin adaptor. 

I will buy a new wireless adaptor and try with the new Sagemcom hub.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Limey1,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Hello Michelle

Thank you for your offer of a replacement router.  I have already ordered a new Dlink wireless adaptor dual band which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I will let you know whether that solves the problem or not.  I suspect the issue is with the PC/ wireless adaptor.

VMT

Limey1

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Limey1,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Hello Michelle

I believe the Sagemcom router is working as it should.  New D-Link dual band USB Wi-Fi adapter arrived this morning. The troublesome wireless PC connected first time with new adaptor.  However download speed only 1 to 2 Mbs.  Upload speed 7 to 8 Mbs.  That is not right.  A separate laptop had download of 30Mbs, the same as the second ethernet connected PC.  When new adaptor installed in second PC( cable taken out!) the  download speed was speed 30 Mbs on the Sagemcom router and also on the old HG635 router.

I did a systemscan from command prompt on the troublesome PC and no errors were found.

Before rebuilding the troublesome PC has anybody any ideas what the issue could be?

Highlighted
Community Team

Have you tried an ethernet port on the iffy PC or changed the port you use for the WIFI adaptor?

Ady

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Ethernet download at 33Mbs: wireless at 0.5 Mbs.  Changed USB ports for wireless adaptor but no difference.  Then did network reset: surprise 33 Mbs download on wireless!  However after another restart back to 0.5 Mbs.

So it's a rebuild unless anybody thinks it is a motherboard fault.  I have already downloaded Windows 10 onto a stick via "media creation tool".

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Highlighted
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Before rebuilding the PC, I would deffinately check for WiFi interference, particularly on the 2.4GHz band. I don't suppose you know which band your new WiFi adapter is connected to 2.4 or 5GHz? You can find this out from a command prompt. In Windows 10, click the Window Icon & type in the search box:-

cmd

in the search box next to it. This should find the "Command Prompt" from there.

Please enter these commands one at a time, pressing enter after each one and wait for the response. Then copy and paste the output from each into Notepad & attach them to your reply.

netsh wlan show drivers
netsh wlan show interface
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

None of these commands will reveal your Wi-Fi password, although other netsh commands will.

Please feel free to PM the results to me, but if you do, please include a link back to this thread, so as I can quickly find it again.

Note I will need to know the names of your wireless networks.

I can help a lot with WiFi interference if you want it, just ask.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player
Thank you Keith for your offer of help
I have 2 PCs, 2 laptops, 2 D Link USB wireless adaptors and 2 routers: HG635 and Sagemcom. With all these different combinations I should be able to diagnose the issue. I have not been able to do so. With the good PC (normally ethernet) taken upstairs to where the bad PC is located and then plugged in latest D Link adaptor; no problem. With old Asus netbook upstairs; no problem. With the decent HP laptop no problem. So on the face of it perhaps not interference. It seems to be an issue related to the PC itself. I have done a network reset 3 times. Twice it gave me 33Mbs download then after restarting for another session at the PC back to 0.5 Mbs

However the issue occurred on the day of the voltage overload which blew 3 other bits of electrical equipment.

I have ordered a new SSD from Crucial so I might as well do a rebuild. I did the downstairs PC about 6 weeks ago with a new SSD which was a great success.

Thank you again for your offer of help, I suspect I will need it if the rebuild fails to sort the problem. I will keep you informed.
Highlighted
Limey1
Team Player

Wiped hard drive and did a rebuild with old hard drive. Crucial was out of stock with new SSD I wanted so I cancelled the order.

All is working well with downloads of 33Mbs with D Link wi-fi adaptor.  What was the problem? No idea except perhaps corrupted files.