Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New WiFi Hub Performance Very Poor Compared to Older Super Router - Have Changed Back

cgclassics
Whizz Kid
Message 36 of 36

After much effort, I finally got a wifi hub sent to me.  Initially it set up OK and whilst my old D-Link Super Router was reporting 24Mb download, the new wifi hub was showing 19Mb.  OK we need to wait a bit for DLM to sort itself out.  However, the latency time for accessing websites is terrible.  Using the router direct into the master socket, no extensions and wired connection to my PC over ethernet.  I ran a couple of broadband speed checkers and got results from 0.4Mbps to 7Mbps but nothing like the 20Mbps I used to get with the older router.

So fortunately I managed stop the send back of the old router.  Have plugged that in and straight up to 19Mbps on broad band speed checker compared to less than half that on the Wifi Hub. No other changes, just unplugged one router and plugged the other one in.

So what's going on - do I have a bad Wifi Hub or is there some setting that is wrong in it?

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Hi cgclassics,

I'm not sure what to suggest, unless we go through a process of elimination I don't think we are going to be able to find out what's causing the problem. If you're unhappy with renewing your contract to get the wifi hub, you could try speaking to our Loyalty Team and explain the situation, see what they say

Chris

Message 2 of 36

Hi Michelle, can I refer you to my previous message and the note from Karl and his PM.  This has already been tried and made no difference.  It's all in the thread.

Message 3 of 36

Hi cgclassics,

I'm sorry to hear this. We do have a new version of firmware coming soon for the wifi hub, it's currently going through the last stage of testing before we can fully roll this out. Once this is available then we can update your router to see if their is any improvement.

Thanks

Message 4 of 36

Chris - that's already been tried....  see PM from Karl.  Made no difference to the problem.  Problem is I signed up for another 18 months to get the WiFi Hub which I wouldn't have done if I'd have known it had comoatibility issues.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 36

Hi cgclassics,

I appreciate what you are saying but it's going to be difficult finding out what's causing the problem other than through a process of elimination. There is new firmware due to be released soon although we don't have a release date at the moment. Perhaps it's best to continue using the D-Link until you are able to test with the new firmware.

Chris

Message 6 of 36

Chris, I've tried a partial disconnect of some devices and switching off WiFi etc.  But I can't leave some things disconnected like the security system as it sets off warning alarms if disconnected for too long.  However, there is nothing unusual in the equipment used that acnormal router shouldn't be able to handle.  My TP-Link VR900 was fine as is the D-Link Super Router, so it is specific to the WiFi Hub.  Each time you disconnect something you'd need to run it for an hour or two to see whether there is an issue.  Sometimes the speed is OK for that length of time.  To go through the whole system and systematically evaluate this would literally take hours.  I'd come back to the point I made in the thread earlier that this is a piece of standard router kit that should work out of the box without hours of time investment to troubleshoot and fix.  It has a problem for sure.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 36

Hi cgclassics,

Have you tried switching off all devices that connect to the internet via the router, except the one that you're running the speed tests on, just to see if it it potentially one device causing the problem

Chris

Message 8 of 36

It was connected for several days (3-4) when I first got it and the replacement also.  The sync speed on the line was fine - around 20Mbps.  But the physical download speed on a wired PC (and of course everything else) would regularly drop from around 18-19Mbps to anything from 0.4Mbps to 7Mbps.  By regular I mean 5 or 6 times an hour. My internet radio would drop out frequently when it did this, the speed was so slow.  From Friday to Sunday I ran the second WiFi Hub for a longer stint and again sync speed showed as fine but actual performance was again intermittent exactly as above.  We gave up trying to listen to internet radio as it was unusable.  So both Wifi Hubs are the same in this respect.  Leads changed and power supply changed.  We are now back onto the old D-Link Super Router which does not have any of the speed drop problems, although the wifi range is not as good - which was the original reason to upgrade.  I notice that DLM has slowed the sync down to 18Mbps but presuming that will slowly come up. But no drops of speed as seen by wired or wireless connections. Internet radio, sky films all OK.  OCE Karl sent me another router to try. I asked what type thus was and if it was another variant of the WiFi Hub, but his reply didn't respond on that point.  It arrived on Monday but turns out its just an HG633 Super Router, so I don't see any point in trying that out because the D-Link Super Router works, and this was all about improving WiFi range in our house - noting the whole house guarantees that BT and Sky give.  In order to do all this I had to extend my contract by 18months before TT would send me a Super Router - now I am stuck in the contract with no improvements to WiFi. The WiFi Hib clearly has a problem of some sort where there is something in my home equipment (TV Sky, Sonos, Security System, PCs and Phones,) which it can't cope with and an older router like the D-Link can.  It's not therefore doing what its claimed to do.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 36

Hi

I'll get the Huawei model out to you and we can see if that performs better.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 10 of 36

Hi Karl happy to try the Huawei router if it is likely to have better wifi reach than the D-Link Super Router which we know works. Is the Huawei router another manufacturers version of the WiFi Hub? If so let's give it a try. Thanks

Message 11 of 36

Hi

This is a strange issue.  I cannot see any line issues.  No Errors showing in the DLM logs,  When checking at the router remotely I did see that latency increased but cannot see any explanation for this.

We can get a Huawei router out to you and see if that behaves itself.

Would you like me to arrange this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 12 of 36

Karl, I have swapped over the power supply, ethernet cable and phone line cable (I have 2 WIFI hub routers with the testing spare).  The problem is still there. One minute I have 18-19Mbps internet checker speed then someting like 0.4-1.0Mbps.  My ethernet wired internet BBC radio wont even run without interrupts when the speed drops.  It's happened about 4-5 times in the last hour and the whole thing is unusable.  It can't be the router, we have swapped that, it can't be the power supple and cables we have swapped that.  I have turned off 5GHz WiFi to see if that helps but it doesn't.  I don't think it is the line to the house as the Super Router works OK and you've tested the line.  It's not the firmware as you've updated it.  I can only conclude there is a fundamental software or hardware problem with these WiFi Hub routers and they are not fit for purpose.  Where do we go from here? 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 36

Hi

I can see that latency increased at the router.  I cannot see any issues with the line.  Checking the BT DLM logs shows no errors etc.

I've made a small change here.  Can you test again.  If you have a test socket test directly at this.  Swap over any filters and use another cable between the router and socket/filter if you have one to rule out a dodgy cable.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 14 of 36

Karl,

OK so I've been running a few hours and I'm afraid to say the problem is still there on the new wifi hub.  So for a period the speed is fine, then you'll be working and it will drop right down to 0.4Mbps (tried 3 different speed checkers, direct wired ethernet connection, all say the same), check it again and it might be 2Mbps and again then it might be 4 or 7Mbps.  Check 5 minutes later and we are back up to 19-20Mbps.  The practicality is that you might be working and then things seem to hang.  Exactly the same as the last WiFi Router, but not something the Super Router does - that holds firm at around 19Mbps.  So what might be going on?  I have SkyQ on direct ethernet, home security system with cameras all on ethernet, Sonos system on WiFi and rest are PCs and mobile phones?  PC is ethernet, phones obviously WiFi? What could be happening that the WiFi Router is struggling but the Super Router isn't?  I've left it on for now in case you can log into it remotely and diagnose anything, otherwise we'll have to go back to the Super Router.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 36

Hi Karl, thanks for the pm that helped.  Now back up and running with everything on "0" range IP addresses.  Turns out in the DHCP field for the router IP address you can't just edit one digit which you can in the DNS and DHCP range fields, otherwise on the new router you get an invalid IP address error.  But if you write out the whole IP address from scratch it then takes it.  Weird but it's now OK.  Sync speed and internet speed checked speeds are around 20Mbps which is more than I saw on the old Wifi Hub and a tad more than the super router.  So that just leaves some monitoring to ensure that we don't see the speed drops after a few hours and days that I saw with the old router.  If we don't then I think we are there.  Will report back.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 36

Hi

just dropped you a pm.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 17 of 36

Karl - thanks - 2600t installed.  So I now need to change the hub IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP range accordingly as the home security system needs me to be on the "0" IP range not "1".  So on the previous wifi hub I could just go into the advanced settings and set DHCP accordingly and then go into DNS and change there to "0".  This new hub is different. I cannot change the hub IP address to 192.168.0.1 as it keeps telling me that this address is invalid.  I can change it on the DNS tab but not on the DHCP tab.  How can we get it moved onto the "0" subnet so the security cameras will work?  Can't understand why this hub won't allow it but the previous one would.  The old super router also allowed it.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 36

Hi

Firmware update in progress.  also I've made a change here to see if htis helps with the Sky Q issue you had.  Test and let e know.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 19 of 36

Dear OCEs / Karl,

I have received the new wifi hub router.  It is immediately syncing faster than the suspected faulty version and I'm getting faster download speeds on web speed checkers with the direct wired connection.

Could you push me across the 2600t firmware as I have to have 1 fixed IP address and I don't think you can do that with 1400t. Also Karl referred to a possible issue with SkyQ channel switching and that something could also be pushed through from your end on this to ensure there is no problem. THanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

Hi

Replacement Hub sent for testing.

There are no issues as such with SkyQ and the Hub, but I am aware of an issue with SkyQ and possible channel switching.

let me know when the router arrives and is in place and I'll see if I can make a change from here.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips