cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New router needed?

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

I have Devolo powerline adapters connecting my TalkTalk router to my TalkTalk box.  All has been well for years.

As the adapters appeared to have failed recently (keep flashing red), I purchased two new ones.  But when trying to get Apps etc the TV still says 'cannot connect to the Internet'. 

All cables are plugged in properly.  I have done the usual 'switch off and wait' with both the router and box, no success.

I have spoken to Devolo, we have done tests and their agent confirms that the new adapters are OK.  He suggests the ROUTER is the problem.

I have just checked Speed to Device:  19Mbps Download, 6Mbps Up  (Poor).

Can you assist, please?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi renard80

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Hi

Glad all is working now.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 3 of 19

When I switched on TV today, somehow the fault was resolved!  Things are OK now, so presumably no further action is required.  

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 4 of 19

The TV box. As stated, I have installed the new router you sent, plus new power line adapters, but I still can't get Preview, Apps etc.  

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi renard80

The only remaining option seems a fault with the TT box?

Do you mean the router or TV box?

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 19

Thanks.  The only device I have to test it is a laptop but it doesn't have the correct cable connection. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi

Do you have a device, laptop etc you can test with the adapters to make sure the are passing along the signal, so some device besides the TV box you can connect via the adapters to verify they are working ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 8 of 19

Hi Debbie.  

Thanks for the new router. Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the problem. 

To recap:  I have two Devolo powerline adapters. All has worked well for a long time, then suddenly I couldn't get Preview, Apps etc. on TV. 

I bought new adapters, which I have tested with a Devolo agent who confirms they are OK, but the problem wasn't solved.

You kindly sent a new router.  It works OK, but it hasn't solved the problem. 

So, despite new adapters and a new router, and doing the usual troubleshooting, I still can't get Preview, Apps etc. 

The only remaining option seems a fault with the TT box?

Your advice will be appreciated. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Thanks @KeithFrench

@renard80  Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

I know, Keith, and your help was appreciated.  I was busy over the weekend so couldn't keep a useful dialogue with you.  I'm hoping the new router will do the trick. Thanks and best wishes. 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 19

Hi @renard80 

I was merely trying to ascertain exactly where the fault was, whilst the TalkTalk support staff were not available, as they do not work weekends.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 12 of 19

Hi renard80

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 13 of 19

Yes, please, Debbie. Thanks for your prompt response. 

Message 14 of 19

Hi renard80

Sorry for the delay.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

The adapters show a white light when paired and working properly.  If they cannot pass the signal from router to the TT box via the power line, they flash red.

As said, we are satisfied the brand new adapters are satisfactory, which makes us suspect the router. 

I am hoping for advice from the helpful Talktalk Support Team. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 19

Which lights are these, that description means nothing? I do not have any of these PLAs, but is this the powerline lights, Ethernet or what?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

renard80
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

The router is 'Super Router HG635'. Speed to router is 39Mbps (Good). Speed to the TT box is 19 Down, 6 Up (Poor). The  adapters keep flashing red, although as I said, they are brand new and the Devolo agent confirms they are properly paired.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

What make/model of router do you have? If you log into it, what speeds does it display, if it is one of the WiFi hubs, this is in the initial dashboard area? Are all of the lights on your Devolo units correct?

Keith

0 Likes