cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No change in speed after plan upgrade

Eddie4419
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

I was on the Faster Fibre plan until June 21st which is when the contract ended. I got an email from TalkTalk in May advising me to chose a different plan, saying that if I renewed on Faster Fibre my monthly charge would be increased. So I took TalkTalk's advice and renewed on the Fibre 65 plan. The average download speed claimed for the Fibre 65 plan is 67Mb/s. I have checked my download speed several times and it averages about 38Mb/s which is the same as when I was on the Faster Fibre plan. Naturally I am disappointed and am curious why I am not getting anywhere near the promised speed.  

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Eddie

I've sent you another Private Message.

Please can you try and complete the form/link again?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi Eddie

Apologies for this. I'm looking into this now and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

Eddie4419
Chat Champion
Private Message
Private Message

Message 3 of 12

Hi Debbie-TalkTalk,

I  tried to reply to your private message several times but each time I got the following error message in a yellow box:

Authentication Failed.

Authentication ticket mismatched, failed authentication.

My intended reply was as follows:

That link to doesn't work, it just opens a blank page. I followed the other instructions and found that I have already set up a telephone password.

Eddie4419

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Eddie

If you click on your avatar in the top right hand corner of the Community then you should see your Private Message there.

Thanks

Eddie4419
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

Hi Debbie- TalkTalk, I haven't received a private message, only the emails from you about a private message.  Where can private messages be viewed?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi Eddie4419

Have you received my Private Message?

Thanks

0 Likes

Eddie4419
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Hi Skynet_TX, thanks for your reply.  I carried out all the Service Centre tests - they didn't find anything wrong.

Estimated speed - 33 to 41Mbps.

Measured speed to router - 39Mbps.

Measured speed to device - 36Mbps.

Guaranteed download speed - 33Mbps.

WiFi signal strength is shown as excellent on my laptop's taskbar.

The nearest street cabinet is about half a kilometre away.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi Eddie4419

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 12

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your ‘Estimated Speed’ and your ‘Measured Speed’. You should also be able to see your guaranteed minimum speed in that area of the Service Centre.

The service you were on previously was capped at 40mbps, all upgrading to Fibre 65 does is remove that cap. So it really depends if your router was originally connected at 40mbps and being held back by that cap, as you will only see a speed increase if it was being held back by the cap.

The 'Average 67mbps' is purely marketing, it means that across all customers that is the average speed, it does not mean that each individual person will get that as an average speed. The speed you can get as an individual is totally determined by the length and quality of your phone line.

Skynet_TX_0-1657048889779.png

Eddie4419
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi Debbie- TalkTalk,

Thank you for your reply. Prior to the upgrade my download speed averaged about about 38Mb/s, so it hasn't changed.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi Eddie4419

I've checked and your line is in sync at 37.7mb.

What speed were you receiving before the upgrade? If your line was not in sync at 40mb previously then you would not see an increase in speed on Fibre 65 sorry.

Thanks