cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Orange light often showing on WiFi Hub Black

Andrew255594
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Several times a day at the moment we find our (copper cable) broadband isn't connecting and a solid orange light shows on the router. Switching it off and on or just waiting a few minutes generally sorts it but only temporarily. Running a Connection Test via the Talktalk support site says that "We’re unable to identify a fault on your line" and slightly oddly the Router Test says "We’re sorry, we can’t identify your router or it’s software version" despite it being the one supplied.

Is the router likely to be faulty and if so is battling with the Live Chat function best or is there a simpler way? I've previously ended up being told that if the testing tools can't see a problem then there can't be one and it must be my imagination, or that I must get in touch while the problem's ongoing, which I can't do as the internet is down...

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Andrew

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

All fine for a week now. Nothing to add really unless it starts to misbehave again! Cheers.

Message 3 of 13

Morning,

Thanks for the update. How has your connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

No problems over Easter so switched back on Monday evening to the normal faceplate. No further problems with that so I'm not sure what has been proved except that no equipment involved is reliably and consistently faulty!  Weather had been very wet just before the problem started so maybe just a damp connection somewhere on the way to the exchange, or a glitch somewhere. Here's hoping it's settled down.  I'd switch to Full Fibre except TalkTalk don't offer it here with a landline and I really want to keep that option to limit who has my mobile phone number, and so some callers can have a single number to catch whoever is at home.  So much for Ofcom's trumpeting of the benefits of fibre broadband and not insisting a landline must always be offered.  Thanks anyway for the various suggestions.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi

monitor over the easter weekend and see how it performs. Note the time of and drops and report back here so we can take a look.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Plugged into the test socket for 48 hours now and no noticeable drops in connection yet while we've been using it, though haven't been in much lately.  The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard does though currently (10 am) show "Online for 0:06:29 day(s)" which I take to mean there was a blip in the middle of the night.  Will give it a few days longer then revert to the normal faceplate and see what happens.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Morning,

No problem, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi. Just back from a long weekend so haven't had a chance to try anything yet. Hoping to try connecting via the test socket over the next couple of days and will report back in due course if all seems to be working correctly, or straight away if the problem recurs. Cheers.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

@Andrew255594 wrote:

Will have to find an adapter so I can plug the cable from the hub into the test socket (I assume you mean the one behind the faceplate of the Openreach master socket?) which has a BT phone type connector. 

Yes, that's the one. You should have received plug-in microfilter adapters with any previous routers received, maybe still sat in a box somewhere? 

0 Likes

Andrew255594
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Useful ideas thanks. I'd already been checking the phone line, particularly when the broadband was misbehaving and it seems fine. Will have to find an adapter so I can plug the cable from the hub into the test socket (I assume you mean the one behind the faceplate of the Openreach master socket?) which has a BT phone type connector. Then of course the joy of an intermittent problem is that if it all works fine I still won't be sure if that's narrowed things down or if it's just spontaneously decided not to go wrong!   Probably better if it still hiccups proving I think that it's not the master socket or my home phone wiring.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Have you tried connecting your router at the test socket? Have you noticed any issues with your voice service?

Subject to that, the support team here will look into this for you when they are back online from Monday. Make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk phone number and/or account number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account.

0 Likes