cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor WiFi coverage even with extender

Scramble_cam
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi

I live in a small bungalow. I get good WiFi in two rooms but in the other 3 the signal is weak, it regularly drops out and the speed is slow. I was sent a talktalk extender when I renewed my Talktalk contract and now the signal is good in the room I put that in but the 2 other room are still just as bad. I don't know what else to do to solve this problem. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this? 

Thanks

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 11

Hi @Scramble_cam 

Sorry, I don't know what happened, the reply to your PM I sent yesterday or the day before & seems to have got lost. I have sent another reply. Please let me know if you don't get that one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Keith

I have sent you a pm. 

Thanks

Scramble_cam

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

If you can just send me screenshots of each of the views from the analyser & I will take a look. I will need to know the name of of your WiFi networks (SSID). 

When you include them, please use the Insert Photo button on the toolbar and set it's Size Parameter to Large.

Feel free to PM them to me if you want.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Keith

I would like it if you could do this. How can I arrange this?

I did download wifi analyzer app and tested it in the two rooms I don't get signal and there was occasionally distant interference from neighbours routers but the big thing I noticed was my wifi signal was very low and the estimated distance from the router or extender was 10s of meters even though the distance was less than 10m. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Scramble_cam 

Unless you know about WiFi interference I am offering to do all of the analysis, totally free of charge for you, it is not just the WiFi channel selection. Plus this must be done considering both the router & the WiFi extender.

Keith

Message 6 of 11

Hi Keith

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate some help with this. How should I go about doing the WiFi analysis etc? 

0 Likes

Scramble_cam
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I will try looking at any interference and changing the channel. Hopefully I will be tech savvy enough to be able to manage this but I'm not sure. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Scramble_cam 

If you want any help sorting this problem, I can help a lot with using a free WiFi analyser and I can analyse the results for you & tell you what needs to be done to rectify it.

I have found a similar problem with a friend of mine who lives in a bungalow (this is nothing to do with being a bungalow, it could easily apply to any property type). Although the WiFi signal should have reached one problem room without issue, there was a lot of WiFi interference from other networks in that room only.

Keith

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi Scramble_cam

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you tested different wireless channels to see how the connection compares? Change your wireless channel

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Scramble_cam,

Have you tried using a smartphone App like this to see what Wi-Fi channels are being used within range of your smartphone. This would help you see if there are other networks (i.e. your neighbours routers) that are using the same, or similar, channel to yours that could be interfering with your signal.

If the App helps you identify better channels that you could be using you could then change your router to use those better channels :

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Change-your-wireless-channel/ta-p/2204684