cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Problem with openreach modem and CB radio.

sq8bgq
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

I have a 150 mbps broadband from talk talk over a copper line. I was provided with a small openreach modem box connected to the TalkTalk router. There is a problem with a CB radio transmitter. I found when the transmitter transmits over the band of 21MHz with power of 1W only (in is extremely small power) my modem disconnects from the internet. Router keeps working fine. We even did a test and I powered the modem from 12V battery and I unplugged the ethernet cable from it to make sure the interferences do not come thru any cable into the modem case, so only the battery and landline was connected to the modem and when the CB-radio transmitter transmits the modem gets disconnected.

Two questions:

- do talk talk provide any different model of the modem I have 

- do I need the modem? Why I can't connect the line straight to the router, especially the router is equipped with the landline socket? Of course I tried and it does not work. 

My broadband got (I am guessing automatically) slowed down from 150mbps to 20mbps to prevent disconnections and get a more stable connection but it does not work anyway.

Picture of my modem attached.

modem.png
Pawel R
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi sq8bgq

You do need to have a Openreach modem with the TT router for G.fast connections.

If you are experiencing issues with the modem then we would need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for the answer. Do you or anybody know, if I can buy myself any router which will work without that modem, even with the reduced speed? 

Pawel R
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

It will not be TT who decide what modem you need, Openreach will supply it on their behalf.

Fibre 150 over a copper line requires a standalone modem in addition to the TT router.

TT do not supply a combined modem/router for Fibre 150, they do not have one in their armoury.

RFI is very difficult to suppress, suggest you head over to a CB radio forum to see if anyone there has a solution.

sq8bgq
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Please do not look at the LEDs at the picture, the LAN cable is unplugged but at the time when the picture was taken the modem was connected to the internet, as the CB radio transmitter was inactive. Once the transmitter starts transmitting, the internet and dsl LEDs go dark. 

Pawel R
0 Likes