cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Problems with g.fast

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hello,

I upgraded to g.fast on Monday and ever since my connection was off more than on.

Had an openreach engineer visiting yesterday, no faults with the line. Had connection for whooping 12 hours or so. There was no internet connection from today morning up until now (except for 5 minutes). Was on the phone to help line today twice. First time issue got resolved and connection was back on for 5, maybe 6 minutes. Of course I was promised that there will be no more issues at the end of the first call to support team. It was very difficult not to lose my temper when I had to call second time about same ongoing issue, hang on a phone for well over an hour with someone who, by the sound of it, knows nothing, but following the script, and in the end get an another openreach engineer call out, so that someone can check the line yet again.

What's even better member if support team was not able to connect me with anyone, that can look into problem beyond running standard tests and asking if my DSL cable is connected, or if I had a connection before ( repeated long story with engineers visits, internet going on and off by itself, about 4 times by then).

Looks like the only way to get some semi-reasonable outcome is to get on a forum, via internet, that I don't have despite paying for it.

Nevertheless, looks like g.fast refuses to work with good old sagemcom, that I've been using for 2 years. And normally getting Huawei MT.992 instead does the trick, as it is more or less the right tool for the task.

I'd like to get Huawei MT.992 as soon as possible, as member of my family is working from home and is heavenly relying on the internet. Buying mobile data package to work whilst also paying for the internet that does not work is not ok, to say the least. 

Regards,

Very frustrated customer

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

@Arkuenon wrote:

Potentially. Will get in touch with Loyalty team tomorrow. I'm curious where from did 24th of November appear in the first place, and why it is impossible to make changes earlier, granted that I'm 1 - already connected, 2 - engineers are available. They where able to get one organised for the next day...

I would guess that the 24th was possibly the first available slot for a "routine" job like changing or setting up a service, whereas response to a loss of service fault was treated as a higher priority.

hopefully you will have more luck contacting customer services or else staff on here may be able to clarify the situation when they are back after the weekend.

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 14

Potentially. Will get in touch with Loyalty team tomorrow. I'm curious where from did 24th of November appear in the first place, and why it is impossible to make changes earlier, granted that I'm 1 - already connected, 2 - engineers are available. They where able to get one organised for the next day...

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

@Arkuenon wrote:

Loyalty team happily reverted me to fibre 65. With immediate action, but new plan starting on 24th if November.

If the Fibre65 is due to go live again on 24th November then I would guess that is the date that an Openreach Engineer will have been assigned to do the switch over work at the cabinets.

0 Likes

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

Loyalty team happily reverted me to fibre 65. With immediate action, but new plan starting on 24th if November. And I had 4th engineer visit on Saturday morning. That was a second engineer that said me that they need to change switches in cabinet. Sure enough Loyalty team knows better than openreach engineers and told me that there is no need to change anything with the line itself. I've spent another 1.5hrs in chat with tech support to try to get engineer to revert my setup to pre g.fast. Yes I got the engineer in the end of a say (the one came in on Saturday morning). No, he was unable to resolve the issue, because TalkTalk's glorious tech support team tasked him to check and fix g.fast. 

All I want at this stage is to revert back to pre g.fast and forget about this mess. But as it stands right now, TalkTalk is super reluctant on changing anything or asking engineers to do the right thing! Ah yes, any need to say that there is still no internet connection because it simply does not work reliably in my property.

Just why tech support got to be so difficult? 

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 14

Hi,

Changed package away from g.fast. Some degree of controversy yet again. Engineer that visited earlier today said that they will need to pop to cabinet to change switches, Loyalty Team member said that it should be fine as it is. Go live date is today, so will see if it works. If there's no change today/tomorrow I'll switch the provider.

Regards,

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Arkuenon

Apologies for this.

Please let us know how you get on after speaking to our Loyalty Team.

Debbie

0 Likes

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 14

Hi Debbie,

The engineer advised to stop using g.fast if internet keeps dropping down. The line from house to cabinet us in a good condition indeed. Problem is that distance is too long for g.fast to work reliably. 

Will get in touch with Loyalty team right now, thank you.

Regards,

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Arkuenon

Again I'm so sorry about this.

The engineers notes appear to advise that they were unable to detect any faults. What did the engineer advise?

To discuss changing your package you would need to contact our Loyalty Team.

0 Likes

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for replying. Engineer visited this morning. I had connection for an hour since he left. Now there's no connection yet again. To whom may I talk to switch to previous package? G.fast proven to be extremely unreliable, not willing to use it any longer.

Regards,

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

Hi Arkuenon

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can see that an Openreach engineer visit has been arranged for today - 12/11 AM (8am - 1pm)

I will check the engineers notes this afternoon.

We can only send a Sagemcom router for G.Fast connections.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

Hi Arkuenon

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can see that an Openreach engineer visit has been arranged for today - 12/11 AM (8am - 1pm)

I will check the engineers notes this afternoon.

We can only send a Sagemcom router for G.Fast connections.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hi @Arkuenon,

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Arkuenon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Actually openreach engineer installed mt.992 modem. Good thing is I don't have to wait for it. Bad news - no, this modem didn't resolve the issue...

Maksims Muraskins
0 Likes