cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router name changed, no internet connection

Millsybabe
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I changed my router name and password months ago due to people getting into my Wi-Fi and slowing it down, and I’ve had no issues since until now.

I went away overnight and when I returned, none of my devices had internet access anymore (TV, mobile, iPad, etc). Looking into the available Wi-Fi networks, I noticed that my router name has changed back to the original factory settings and is no longer what I renamed it as months ago? On a hunch I tried the original password too and it says connected, yet still no internet access (e.g. there’s a green tick next to the router name in my mobile’s Wi-Fi settings, yet no Wi-Fi icon in the control bar at the top of the screen and Safari says no internet connection).

Firstly, I don’t understand why my router name and password changed back to the original factory settings. I live alone and it certainly wasn’t me.

Secondly, I don’t understand why it’s accepting the password yet not actually connecting (and that’s the same regardless of device).

I have checked all of the cables to entire they connected correctly. I have tried rebooting the router, including a hard reset as well - no joy, I get the same result as above (router name and password accepted, yet no actual internet connection).

I also cannot get 192.168.1.1 to load no matter how much I try, in order to access my router settings.

Can someone help me with this please? I have no idea what to try anymore.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi Millsybabe,

Glad to hear that the new router has resolved the problem. Yes, as Skynet_TX has said, can you return the old router 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Hi @Millsybabe,

Glad to hear the replacement router has fixed the problem. Yes, you should return the old router in the pre paid returns bag that has been provided. Make sure you keep proof of postage too.

Message 3 of 9

Hi Debbie,

The new router arrived today. I’ve set it up and my internet connection came live straight away. It’s working perfectly with no issues.

It looks like it was a router issue.

Thank you for your help sorting this so quickly!

do you want me to return the old router with the returns bad I’ve been given?

Thanks again. 

Message 4 of 9

Message 5 of 9

Will do - thank you very much Debbie. 

Message 6 of 9

Hi Millsybabe

The router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection is with the new router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 9

Yes please Debbie if you wouldn’t mind. I really need my connection at home for remote working. 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi Millsybabe

I think we should send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie