cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router reverting to factory default settings.

donbidyre
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Why does my router (FAST 5364) periodically revert to factory default settings?

I can fairly confidently predict that it would happen during an extended line test, but it recently happened again for no apparent reason.

This is very annoying as I have my main router configured to sit within the TT routers DMZ to allow my main router to forward selected inbound ports. Default settings disable the DMZ, so effectively blocking any inbound connections. It also reverts to an insecure default admin password, which is not ideal.

In my original config, the impact was much worse as I had changed the TT LAN subnet to avoid clashing with my main routers LAN, but this of course meant that after a factory reset, it blocked all traffic in & out until the TT router was configured again. To minimise this, I’ve had to reconfigure my whole network to move my main routers LAN subnet so that the TT router was operating as close to its default settings as possible & minimise the impact of a reset.

Seeing as this reset can generally be triggered during a line test, it seems obvious to me that this is a remotely initiated reset. It can’t be right for TT to factory reset a customers router without seeking permission first, due to the disruption it can cause.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi donbidyre,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

0 Likes

donbidyre
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Typically, now that we are specifically looking at the router, it has retained its config during your test this time.

If there are no circumstances when TalkTalk intentionally trigger a factory reset remotely, then we’d have to assume that this one is faulty & should be replaced. So yes, could you please send a replacement.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Morning,

Ok, I've run a test on the line now which is clear. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

donbidyre
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

I have not been seeing any line issues lately so I’m not convinced a line check would be helpful, but you are welcome to try.

My main concern is that the router config reverts to factory default, which I believe is remotely triggered as a line test often causes it to happen.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hello,

Ok, would you like us to run a few line test on the line now to see if this detects any issues?

Thanks

0 Likes

donbidyre
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for replying.

A little while ago, I was having issues with broadband dropouts & following the online problem reporting process, I frequently had to initiate a line test. This process almost always triggered a reset.

During that time, I reconfigured my network as previously mentioned in order to minimise the disruption of future resets. Unfortunately this now means that I only notice it has happened when & if I need to connect to a service at home remotely (e.g., VPN).

I have only noticed this issue once (recently) since our dropout issue was resolved, but TBH due to Coronavirus, I’ve rarely needed to connect remotely for a while, which could have masked the frequency of the issue.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Morning,

How often is the router resetting? Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi @donbidyre,

The staff here probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes