cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router update to SG4K100136 - DNS Pihole fail

himdmoz
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi - my router appears to have been recently updated to SG4K100136. Prior to this I could route DNS to my PiHole on the local Lan. The router will now not route any DNS requests to that local IP. The IP works fine is I route DNS from network settings on an individual machine. What has changed in that recent update and how to I get this to route DNS locally, please? Can this be regressed to the prior version that did allow local DNS routing?

9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Glad to hear it's working now, thanks for letting me know

Chris

0 Likes

himdmoz
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

...and that appears to have fixed things, many thanks. DNS now routed correctly through to the local DNS server. Firmware version SG4K10002829t is fine. Can I ask that further auto-updates are no made to the router, please?

Many thanks for your assistance. Jon

Message 3 of 10

OK I'll start it now, it can take up to 20 minutes to complete, please don't switch off your router

Chris

0 Likes

himdmoz
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Yes, please go ahead.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Thanks. I can change your router firmware version, is it OK to do this now?

Chris

0 Likes

himdmoz
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi - Profile updated. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi himdmoz,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi - no dice, sorry. After resetting getting things back up and running I can set DNS in either the 'Static DNS Server Configuration' or the 'DNS WAN IPv4' to the Pi-hole local IP and neither results in DNS requests being routed to the pi-hole server. Setting the former (Static DNS) has no effect, setting the later (DNS WAN IPv4) results in the all DNS queries timing out. The pi-hole service is on a reserved IP and shows no log activity for either option. DNS specified on a local machine targets the pi-hole IP as expected. Curiously if another DNS provider (Google, say) is detailed as second choice on the DNS WAN IPv4 setting, this is used. It's as if the router now cannot find a DNS server on the local LAN. I'll say again, this worked fine up till 28/04/22. Thanks again in advance.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi himdmoz

We've not seen this issue reported with the new firmware. Please can you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then retest?

Thanks

0 Likes