cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slower on fibre 65 than 35

fivepeakspete
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

On the 24th March I was leaving TT but they offered me a deal to upgrade from fibre 35 to fibre 65. Ive had a solid 36 meg for 18 months on fibre 35 but now on fibre 65 Im getting 27 meg.

After a long chat on the phone to TT and 2 router resets Im now down to 22meg. They are saying two things, fibre 65 only guarantees 29.7 meg and they need 30 days to sort it out.

Im very unhappy with this response but my hands are tied, any suggestions or positive comments are welcome.

• Pete.
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi Pete,

fibre 65 and 35 are package names and not a true reflection of actual speeds, so on fibre 35, your profile is set at 40mb, allowing the line to achieve upto 40mb if it is capable of this. On fibre 65, the profile is set to 80mb.  As your line was in sync at the maximum of 35mb, this will not achieve any more, but these are irrelevant points at the moment as your line is going slower than it should at the moment.

The line test is failing and showing an issue.  The only way to resolve this is with an Openreach engineer to asses the fault and repair.

If we send out an openreach engineer and the fault is not with the line, but something within your own property, either faulty equipment or damage to the line caused by your own actions, building works etc, they will charge you for the call out.  This is why we are asking questions, to positively rule out any internal issues so you are confident that a visit can go ahead.  The first and most likely issue could be the router, so we always ask that another is tested.  Testing at the test socket (the Openreach demarcation point) ensures that nothing else is connected to their line and verifies that the cause must therefore be external.

I do want to help deal with this as quickly as I can, but with the test failure, our only option is to progress towards an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

fivepeakspete
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Karl thanks for the reply but this has only happened since I renewed to fibre 65, and a recent speedtest is showing 2.8 download. Nobody at TT said there was a limit on my line and why was I getting a solid 36 meg for a very long time on fibre 35 now TT are saying the guaranteed  min speed for fibre 65 is 29.7 meg, this is not good enough.

There are no problems within my home and its got worse since they remotely checked my line and the asked me to do a reset, nothing personal karl but Im very stressed with having to go through all this especially as I have very serious health issues right now.

Pete.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi Pete,

First, if your line was only capable of 35mb, fibre 65 would not change this.  Upgrading to fibre 65 just removed the cap to allow the line to go faster if it can achieve faster.  The important bit to note here, is IF the line can achieve faster.  If your line had been in sync at 39mb and was predicted to achieve more. then upgrading to fibre 65 may have given more speed, but there is no point in this case, unless you only want the increase in upstream bandwidth.

With regard to your line at this current moment, line tests are failing and showing a possible copper line issue near or within the premises and the only way to resolve this may be through an engineer visit.

Before considering this however, we just need to check a few things with you.

Have you tested another router to rule out a hardware issue ?

Have you tested directly at the 'Test Socket' if you have one ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes