cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Specific Items Dropping from Wifi and not recovering and need router reset

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 60 of 60

Hello,

Wondered if anyone has had a similar problem to what I have been facing for last 4-5 months. I have an issue were certain devices drop from WIFI connection to router and wont reconnect themselves until I reset the router. Two of these are the Nest Thermostat and Eufy Doorbell and Security Camera. 

They work fine and every so often (usually at night oddly) they drop from WIFI connection and only way to recover it is to reset the router. Its always these two devices but sometimes other things two. 

I reset router to factory settings and eventually I was given a new one but that is still doing it as well so I am a bit stuck now. Is there a fault log or something in router that would show why these devices cannot reconnect automatically if they drop off?

0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

Message 41 of 60

Hi Mackam

Thank you. I will check the connection stats/speed again tomorrow morning.

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 42 of 60

Hello ok will leave it plugged in and the other issue is intermittent so need to wait a bit to see really. The upload speed today is still low at 6Mbps by the way

0 Likes

Message 43 of 60

Hi Mackam

Ok please can you leave the router in your current set up for another 48hrs (without rebooting the router) so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed.

The other issues you reported before the firmware update, have these been resolved?

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 44 of 60

Yes tried two different microfilters and they are the same and was already in test socket. The upload speed was fine before before updates on Friday. 

0 Likes

Message 45 of 60

Hi Mackam

The line test is clear and I can see that the upload sync speed is currently 7.3mb.

Have you tried connecting the router directly at the test socket, with a new microfilter?

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 46 of 60

Yes as I said its dropped from 16Mbps which had been consistent over years to 5 or 6 Mbps now

0 Likes

Message 47 of 60

Hi Mackam

I don't have a full list of fixes but I do know it resolved an issue with VPN.

Just to confirm, the upload speed has dropped?

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 48 of 60

What has this firmware introduced? I noticed on my old router that the upload speed plummeted to around 5/6 Mbps and when I swapped in this new one it went back to 15/16 Mbps. Now this new one has updated its firmware to the same as the other (both now on SG4K100158) the upload speed of both is 5/6 Mbps and I checked this on PC and Xbox and both say the same thing. I tried Talk Talk speed test site but that doesnt work it just times out so attached are speed test results from both routers and now both are a 3rd of upload speed I had before.

Router 2Router 2Router 1Router 1

0 Likes

Message 49 of 60

Hi Mackam

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've updated your router firmware and switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the WIFI  connection compares over the next couple of days.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 50 of 60

Yes I have received it and took time to ensure everything was ok etc. I am still getting same issue but now its worse. I have bought a couple desktop switches and they are also now going offline and only way to fix everything is turning router off then back on. Hard wired works fine if its direct which makes it obvious there is something silly going on with WIFI software or allocating IP when multiple on switch.  Even my phone stopped yesterday and this is about 4th router I have tried. I am now wired to test socket with new filter as I will be asked that but its as direct as you get. 

I feel unless there is something to try which makes sense this system isnt fit for my purpose and will need to try Sky or BT and will break contract as not fit for purpose. 

0 Likes

Message 51 of 60

Hi Mackam

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 52 of 60

Hi Mackam

Thanks for your reply.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 53 of 60

Yes I can try that and see if it helps but I did get a new one not that long ago and the old one did it as well but happy to try another. 

0 Likes

Message 54 of 60

Hi Mackam

I'm sorry to hear this.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 55 of 60

Hello I changed it as above and seemed to work for a good few weeks but its started happening again even though I have split 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Is there any other reason or something I can try?

0 Likes

Message 56 of 60

OK thanks. Please let us know how you get on with Divsec's suggestion

Chris

0 Likes

Message 57 of 60

Thanks Divsec I will try that and see how it works.

On the distance question one is in line of sight about 2 m away and second was further away but we moved it closer but still doing it even in new location. 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 58 of 60

Hi Mackam,

Could you try Divsec's suggestion and let us know how you get on

Are the device that drop the connection quite far away from the router?

Chris

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 59 of 60

Hi @Mackam I would suggest that you try to split your ssid, say by adding the number 5 to the 5ghz. Likely your devices are getting confused with 2.4 and 5. All devices will work happily on 2.4ghz so by changing only the 5ghz channel you should have less changes to make.

I hope that makes sense and your post has been escalated 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.