cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Talk talk Sagemcom CS50001

Matthew19801
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Dear world

Please help.

I have a Talk Talk router Sagemcom CS 50001, I would like to set up as an extender.

Please give me step by step guide to doing this please.

I have done this previously on a bt hub but couldn't find anything really suitable and simple enough to follow.

It has to be a step by step Please  as I have logged in to this router and find it very complicated to navigate.

Much appreciated people!

Peace

Matt

20220716_073914.jpg

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Cartman25
First Timer
Private Message
Message 1 of 12

Hi Matthew 

I have the same request as you is there any chance you can tell me how you achieved this I have tried to contact the guy who helped you but I'm new to this is there any chance you can help me. I need to use a Cs 50001 as a extender and as you said its quite complicated. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

No worries, glad to help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Matthew19801
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 12

Keith you are a star, that's so much for all your help 😀

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 12

There is nothing stopping you from doing that, other than you will lose all roaming capabilities.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Matthew19801
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 12

OK thabks for claryfying it,s just that your instruction tells you to put the new AP as the same name as the main router? If I called the sagensom router 'Living room' then I'd know which WiFi I was connected to right?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 12

Configured the way I told you it is an AP, I would never advise repeaters at all. Anyway it's technically impossible to make it a repeater.

Keith

0 Likes

Matthew19801
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Thanks

Now what about if I want to set the sagemcom up as its own Access Point rather than repeater? 

Bearing in mind I have a Vodafone router as my main one. Do you have a step by step for this please? I'd prefer to use my spare modem this way tbh?

I have a large house and having different Acess Points in different rooms is really helpful. I have a Ethnet wall ports, cat 5 connections in every room! All connected via a switch board next to main router. The previous owner installed this not me but I figured I'd try and make use of it. So I have old BT hub 5 and 6 routers in the dining room and bedrooms upstairs. It's just the living room I need to set up now. The main router is located in the front downstairs bedroom....thabks in advance, Matt 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

You now have four WiFi APs, two on the 2.4GHz and two on the 5GHz (assuming that your Vodaphone router is a dual-band model). Each band has a MAC address, which, to be correct is called a BSSID (Basic Service Set ID). How do you find out the BSSID for each of the four APs, one way is to use a WiFi analyser, that should show you.

It does not follow that just because you think a device is closest to one router, that it is connected to that router at all, it is all down to the router with the best quality of WiFi received from either router & either band. Not knowing which devices you have, each one will have a way of finding out which BSSID it is connected to. In Windows, for example, one way is from the command prompt, where you enter the command:-

netsh wlan show interface

Look at the BSSID in there to see which AP it matches - that is the one that you are connected to.

Keith

0 Likes

Matthew19801
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hello Keith

I was hoping you'd respond!

I have configured the router as you have directed and it seems to have worked.

FYI my main router is a Vodafone with IP address 192.168.1.1

How do I know this has actually worked Jeith and my devices are benefitting from the WiFi extension? Speed test is quick and signal seems to be stringer but how do I know for sure?

I'm not an expert just know a little bit and muddle through using the Internet really to work things out!

What about if I  ow wanted to change the name of the WiFi router and password to something more memorable? Would I need to go in to the sagemcom one too and change this manually or would it change over automatically?

Thabks for all your help

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

I can provide a guide of mine that will tell you how to configure anything on the Sagemcom in great detail. If you want a copy, let me know. However, I am not including the exact details in this post, otherwise, it will become a very long reply & possibly confusing as well.

Leave your main router at its default configuration, then default your Sagemcom FAST5364 as well, but leave it disconnected from the main router.

I would strongly advise you to have WiFi optimisation disabled in the Sagemcom, only TalkTalk can do this for you, but you will probably have to temporarily connect it as the main router before they can do this. Failure to have this done first will very likely cause this facility to override any wireless configuration changes that I recommend you do. However, it can only be done after you have factory defaulted the Sagemcom, otherwise, the factory default will re-enable WiFi optimisation.

I am assuming that the IP address of your main router is 192.168.1.1, then follow this procedure:-

1. Log into the Sagemcom & change its IP address to 192.168.1.2
  2. In the Sagemcom, set up the wireless SSID & passwords to match the main router. The wireless channels may well need changing, but before I can advise on that, I would need to see screenshots from a WiFi analyser. I can help in much more detail with that as well if required.
  3. Whilst in the 2.4GHz WiFi configuration set the channel bandwidth to 20MHz only, the 5GHz band can be left at its default setting.
  4. Disable the DHCP server in the Sagemcom.
  5. Log into your main router (whatever make/model it is) and exclude 192.168.1.2 from its DHCP server IP address range.
  6. Whilst in this router, set the 2.4GHz WiFi configuration set the channel bandwidth to 20MHz only, the 5GHz band can be left at its default setting.
  7. Now connect the two routers via an Ethernet cable between a LAN port on each (LAN 1 on both is a good convention). If required a Powerline adapter case can be used to extend the distance between the two routers.
  8. Once it is all connected & working, then the WiFi channels can be set as required.

Keith

0 Likes