cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100174 Intermittently Freezes.

JohnSB
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

Hi there! I am getting desperate here, as TT refuse to acknowledge that there is a fault with my router. Every now and again it starts to slowly drop off devices until it freezes completely. The white light remains, untl I am forced to attempt a reboot. Here we have the second issue.  The router does not turn on immediately on the first attempt. It can take up to 45 minutes to get it to go to an amber light. I have tried everything. Reset. Brand new cat 10 cables. cables attached before and after boot in evry possible combination. A new BT Mastersocket 5c. The outside box has been checked, and re wired. The router is in optimal position. My job is in IT repair servicing and build, so I know a tad about it.

I have contacted TT on numerous occasions over the last few years about this. Despite the last engineer recommending that the router be replaced (he would have had he had one he said), I still have this clearly faulty one. The only problem is all the router diagnostics show no fault. I presume this is because of the nature of the crash. This is why TT refuse to provide a replacement  - they can gladly have this one back!

The other thing I have noticed, is that the router logs show that a connection is made all the time; despite it being disconnected and powered down when I have to reboot and reste after said Freeze/crash.

I am fed up to the back teeth of going through the rigmarole of checking each item off the TT telephone engineers checklist, and trying to explain the issue. 

How do I get a replacement router? Any ideas would be most welcome. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and spent a few hundred quid on a branded one?

Many thanks in anticipation of some much meeded help!

John

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi JohnSB

Have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi JohnSB

Apologies for this.

I've ordered you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Wow! That would be amazing; Thank You! 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

They will replace it if I ask them to do so!

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 14

Oh, thank you. They have already done this (they say), I would estimate 6 to 7 times over the past 24 months, maybe more. The diagnostics on the router show no fault. So they won't replace it, despite my being told by the engineer it needed changing. But thank you.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 14

In that case, I will ask TalkTalk to investigate it for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Keith. If affects everything; It usually starts with the Wireless devices, then after a few minutes the wired devices go and the router is effectively crashed.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 14

Hi @JohnSB 

One question of my post that you have not answered as yet, is this only affecting wireless connections or the Ethernet ones as well?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Thanks Keith. I don't know if my previous message sent to you was recieved. I'm sorry you are correct they are Cat 8 not 10; they are short cables to connect to the TV and a powerline adaptor, and I have one 5m one to connect a laptop when needed. I changed them because TT insited that I check all cables prior to an engineer visit, so I upgraded them. The engineer even recommended a replecement, but that was well over a year ago now. I'm not asking for the earth from TT, just a swap out of devices, but if you think you can help then help away!

John

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

HI Michelle. I have put my details in as requested. Thank You.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

Hi John,

If you can update your details as requested, we can take a look.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Hi @JohnSB 

Cat 10, this standard has not yet been ratified. While some places sell cables claiming to meet this specification, the current highest ratified classification is Cat 8. Why would you even need Cat 10? Cat 6 is the highest I would use. The use of anything in the IP networking world that is of an unratified standard, can at best only be thought of as experimental. This could mean it does some things better, but equally, it might encounter problems with more basic requirements.

Where are you using these cables?

What devices are affected by this, wired (Ethernet) or wireless or both?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Morning John,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes