cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Unable to obtain IP

dymusi
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

I am having difficulties with devices connecting to LAN (both wireless and wired). It was working for a longer time (over a year since the routed was replaced due to fw problems) and on 09.02.2022 it stopped working properly (the DHCP server). I need urgent help. This affects all devices in my household and prevents me from being able to use the broadband in any way.

FYI:

The router was reset to factory this morning ~08:30 (this obviously caused a reboot)

I have raised this topic already once but I feel like the problem has been missed since I have tried giving some info about additional TS I did and some additional problems I had found) so please ignore https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/DHCP-BUG-on-FAST5364/m-p/2859640#M831889

If this requires replacing the router so be it

Serial Number 

N7211418E007691 

Hardware Version 

FAST5364 4.00 

Software Version 

SG4K100130 

GUI Version 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 7

The original firmware that you have on your router did not support DHCP reserved IP addresses. However, this will automatically update in about a day or so to the latest version & then you will be able to configure these. If It doesn't update, then I will ask TT to manually update it for you. The current firmware is 2816t, there is a later one, V130 that the rollout of it has been put on hold due to problems with a few VPN clients.

In the Sagemcom, as far as DHCP is concerned you can set up DHCP reserved IP addresses, which you can do from:-

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage advanced settings

Click on the device in question & use the Device Info tab & click on the Reserve IP button, this will reserve the address the device currently has.

To reserve a different address for the device, go to:-

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage Advanced Settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub > DHCP

Then click the Add Reserved Address button, in the resulting display, select the device’s name & set the address you want to use.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

dymusi
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 7

So far it seems to be working. I have not been able to do any extensive testing to see how it will behave while there are multiple devices connecting but from the interface I was unable to find devices that the router recognised as trying to connect but did not grant an IP.

I do still have those reservations about the revisions as seen in my last update. Is there a known problem with the newer versions? I know that the "only" way to update the sw is by yourselves pushing it onto the router, I would feel more comfortable if I knew what the recommended version is and why (or whether there is a problem with the device itself).

From a perspective of DHCP I do also have a question that I hope this place to be able to answer better than anywhere else:

Normally when configuring DHCP reservations I would enter a MAC and IP pair so that a machine always gets the same IP (that is what the interface allows). This is not a very user friendly way of holding a table of this sort in which case adding a human readable name to the device is what is expected and that feature does not seem to work here very well. The reason for this is that the router seems to have a hardcoded requirement to use hostnames (Netbios I would assume but do correct me if wrong) rather than user defined names. There is a possibility to change a device name via the connected devices page but that is not always picked up by the DHCP page which tells me those are separate tables (I hope not separate databases). Is there any way to expand on this topic?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi dymusi

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Has this been working ok since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

dymusi
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 7

Hi Debbie,

I have now plugged in and configured the replacement router. I will let you know how the connections work but so far it looks promising. I can see my dynamic MAC devices and my "smart" devices connecting and obtaining IPs. The new device seems to be an older revision if I understand the info correctly. The GUI version is older as well. The software revision however is a number I am unable to compare with the old one without checking it on the vendors sw list but it seems to be a fairly dated one.

Cable Modem Serial NumberHardware VersionSoftware VersionGUI Version

N7193224N008622
FAST5364 3.00
SG4K10001400t
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Hi dymusi

Sorry for the delay.

I've ordered you a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday), but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?